Escape Questions

Rate this topic

blown99

I am looking to buy an escape for my wife and have a few questions that I need answered by guys that see these things come in. I am not partial to either the I-4 or the v-6 engine.(not interested in the hybrid) My decision on which engine I choose is going to be based on your feedback. What engine seems to have the most issues? Which one has the most high dollar issues? Are these anything like the diesels that require engine removal for repairs such as headgaskets, rear seals, timing belts etc. I read on here that some people break the gears in the transfer case by spinning the wheels in snow. Are there any other drivetrain issues with these. The auto trans are reliable? Any options that I should stay away from that tend to be problems? Options that are really nice add ons? I have been looking mainly at the xlt package 4x4 (appears that package will suite her well) Thanks very much for the facts and opinions.

Quote:
I am looking to buy an escape for my wife and have a few questions that I need answered by guys that see these things come in. I am not partial to either the I-4 or the v-6 engine.(not interested in the hybrid)

There goes all your powertrain options Posted Image

My decision on which engine I choose is going to be based on your feedback.

The 4 cylinder is going to be a tad under powered if you plan on loading this thing up.

What engine seems to have the most issues?

The V-6 for sure

Which one has the most high dollar issues?

The older V-6's (coils, catalytic convertors, ect).

Are these anything like the diesels that require engine removal for repairs such as headgaskets, rear seals, timing belts etc.

No, and that stuff doesn't give trouble on either engine.

I read on here that some people break the gears in the transfer case by spinning the wheels in snow.

Most definitely, the PTU's are very weak and sensitive to abuse.

Are there any other drivetrain issues with these. The auto trans are reliable? Any options that I should stay away from that tend to be problems? Options that are really nice add ons? I have been looking mainly at the xlt package 4x4 (appears that package will suite her well) Thanks very much for the facts and opinions.

I guess if I were looking for one of these rigs it would have to be brand new or no older that an '08. Aside from the transmission cooler recall, they have been good units. The newer 4 cylinders have seen a few t-stats hang up but nothing major. I would stay away from anything older. The older v-6 models will break you if the cats clog up or a coil goes out. The older trans were bad about the torque converters deteriorating and the clutch material would clog up the non serviceable filter (you can imagine where that leads).

As far as the PTU is concerned, you just have to use common sense. Keep the fluid checked regularly and if it is dirty change it!!!! If you get stuck don't beat on it too bad. Let it cool down if really hammering the all wheel drive and make sure the tires are matched.

As far as options go, the more shit you got the more shit will break, right? Although I do like the ambient lighting option. And the touch screen nav with back up camera.

I would be buying brand new. She drives from house to house all day for her job, so reliability is at the top of the list. Probably 12-15K a year, but a lot of starts and stops, all back roads.

I gotta say that the V-6 will shit and git compared to the 4 banger. I would highly suggest doing more than a 10 minute test drive at the dealer. If they won't let you have it for the day, then see if you can rent one comparable to the one you want to purchase. Drive it over the weekend and you will have a much better idea of what is going to be sitting in your driveway for the next few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went and picked up a 2012, 2.5l xlt. They sure like to push that 100k bring it anywhere warranty.

Do these use a modulated clutch in the transfer case to run power to the rear wheels for the 4wd/awd?

Quote:
Do these use a modulated clutch in the transfer case to run power to the rear wheels for the 4wd/awd?

The transfer case (PTU) is basically a set of differential gears, it's always driving. The Rear dif has a clutch setup on the front of it. That's why the rear looks so big. The clutches are controlled by a solenoid to send power to the rear when slip occurs. There is no driver input obviously and it works pretty seamlessly.

• 3 months later...