6.7 L Low Pressure Fuel Switch Leak

Rate this topic

Anybody else seeing these switchs fail and leak, causing fuel to wick into the engine harness causing all the wiring to become a lovely mess of gooey insulation all stuck together? Have had 2 the last bit, where its leaked badly enough that a engine harness is the only way to repair properly.

Just about done one, and i really don't enjoy doing the harness one bit. Hope the second one goes much smoother :).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hotline has said they have had some reports but a pigtail is all that was needed. The first one that came in actually had blown the connector out of the switch and was shooting the fuel out of the switch. These 2 showed up within a week of one another.

Doesn't sound like anyone else is running into them, so must not be to common of problem yet, hope it doesn't become one either. Can't remember if the switch number changed up or not. One truck had 36,000 km on it the other 70,000.

Your definitely not the only one seeing this:

Quote:
22040 6.7L - FUEL DELIVERY PRESSURE SWITCH CONNECTOR PIGTAIL

F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.7L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE CONTAMINATION OR DAMAGE TO THE FUEL DELIVERY PRESSURE SWITCH CONNECTOR. A PIGTAIL (8U2Z-14S411-ZB) IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE FUEL DELIVERY PRESSURE SWITCH. FUEL DELIVERY PRESSURE SWITCH CONNECTOR DAMAGE NO LONGER REQUIRES THE ENGINE HARNESS TO BE REPLACED.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/09/2011

Next question... being that badly fuel contaminated would you just do a pigtail?? From what i see contamination goes further than a 2 wire pigtail. I can understand minor contamination.. but in the above picture thats more than a pigtail can repair effectively in my honest opinion.

If you catch it right away Im sure a pigtail will fix it. However Im sure in many cases before its noticed its traveled all the way up the harness

Something to keep an eye on thats for sure

So it stands to reason that you need to inspect the harness and make a determination as to the extent of the damage. If the harness is not damaged then a pigtail is the proper fix. If the wires within the main harness is contaminated, and the insulation is soft and swollen I would agree that the engine harness requires replacement. At this point, you should fill out the Hot-Line assistance form and run your observations by them. I am sure that they would agree that the harness should be replaced in such instances. Document you findings carefully on the repair order and include a copy of the Hot-Line report with your repair order should the warranty peeps require an education.