6.4L oil pan removal

Rate this topic

My take on 6.4 lower oil pan replacement.

I disconnect both battery ground cables. Remove all 4 bolts from the top fan shroud. Loosen the cold cac hose at the upper tube connection only. Loosen the intake hose from the air filter assy. It will look like this when the engine is raised:

Posted Image

I lift the truck and drain the oil. I remove the left motor mount thru bolt and lubricate the mount wedge. This mount is designed like an old alternator bracket and the wedge slides back and forth in the groove and must be slid back some to allow easy removal.

Posted Image

I take a prybar and place it in-between the space shown by the green arrows and pry the wedge (red arrow) back away from the mount. It doesn’t take much prying just need to move it over so it’s not binding on the mount.

Posted Image

I remove the right mount nuts.

Posted Image

I remove the steering stabilizer and the right tie rod end so I can access the crank pulley. I jack up the engine enough just to access the oil pan bolts a little easier.

Posted Image

I remove the engine ground and the trans cooler line bracket to allow a little easier access to the right side pan bolts. This oil pan bolt is about the hardest to get to, but an 8 mm swivel socket makes short work of it.

Posted Image

I remove the 2 lower bell housing bolts to give just a little more room for the pan to fall down.

Posted Image

Now I reach in and remove the pickup tube and set it on the bench.

Posted Image

I lower the truck and use a floor jack to jack the engine back up again.

Posted Image

I do this so the wheels are on the ground and I can monitor what is going on under the hood. It gets pretty hairy jacking the motor up high enough for pan removal with the whole truck in the air. Once the high pressure turbo oil inlet starts to make contact with the cowl insulation, the engine is plenty high enough to get the pan out.

Posted Image

I slide under the truck and remove the pan and check the gasket, then slide the new pan in place. I lower the engine and raise the truck again and reassemble everything. I bring it back down and button the three items up under the hood and fill it with oil and check for leaks.

And that be that.

Well, at least I know somebody is reading my stuff. Posted Image Ain't it amazing how much them little ass sockets cost?

Seriously!! I have 2 of the 8mm's because I broke the one and didn't have a cornwell dealer coming by the shop so I had to buy another, now I'm at a shop with a cornwell dealer and have gotten that one replaced....always nice to have a spare I guess Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

I slide under the truck and remove the pan and check the gasket, then slide the new pan in place.

Boys aint life a little simpler when you dont have to worry about a few drops of oil contaminating the silicone sealant...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

tried this procedure last week was amazed how fast it came out and went back together i did all the above except did the whole job on the ground and found the oil pan can come out in about 45 mins thanks for the quick tip man

• 6 months later...

Thanks Brad for posting this. It worked great. You're the man.

I typed in oil pan removal in the 6.4 section of the advance search for the past 60 months and nothing came up. I had to do a manual search because I remembered reading this when you posted it.

I probably should have left off the 6.4 part in the title. Whenever I run across a code that I make a thread about, I always start off with the code in the title to make the search function easier.