Hypermax head gaskets - installed them yet?

Rate this topic

Clark

Wasn't sure if I should put this up in the aftermarket section or not, but it is 6.0L specific so...

Im not one to totally write off the performance aftermarket, as Im still a bit of a hot rodder at heart, and the thought of buying a cheap (blown up) 6.0L has crossed my mind more then once, so I like to keep up on whats going on. But when I came across these Hypermax head gaskets, I didnt quite know what to think. I searched and didnt find anything about them on here, so I thought Id bring them up. I especially like the part about them having no warranty, and only failing when its your fault.

I have read of several instances of repeat head gasket failures when using Black Onyx gaskets with head studs. All I do know is, that sure is pricey when you consider what the factory OEM head gaskets list price is.

I have also read of these same repeat failures. I wouldn't be the one installing these gaskets

If you're going with a coated head gasket why not use the tried and true copper spray? almost everywhere you go performance guys use copper spray on MLS gaskets but you never hear of it on 6.0s

Posted Image

This is a Hypermax head gasket with less then 5000 kms. Tough luck for this guy he just had this installed and broke down 5000 kms away from were he lived. These parts were installed under warranty so it became a hard one to deal with. I have also heard that people have had good luck with these gaskets as well. This has been my only run in with a failed hypermax head gasket

This is a Hypermax head gasket with less then 5000 kms. Tough luck for this guy he just had this installed and broke down 5000 kms away from were he lived. These parts were installed under warranty so it became a hard one to deal with. I have also heard that people have had good luck with these gaskets as well. This has been my only run in with a failed hypermax head gasket

Was the truck modified at all? If it was put in at a dealer, I cant imagine installation would be at fault.

How the hell did the whole warranty deal work out?

apparently hypermax and these "black onyx" victor reinz gaskets are different. I wasn't aware until now that black onyx gaskets are still MLS gaskets just coated.

I still wouldn't put either one on. The factory gaskets are not the problem

Seeing the hundreds of thousands of 6.0L head gaskets I have replaced with ARP studs over the years and having no repeat failures............you can not convince me that there is a better head gasket than the factory steel layered head gasket for these engines. I don't even think Briggs & Scrap Iron builds head gaskets that shitty.

6 months ago I did Black Onyx gaskets with ARP's in an Excursion that belongs to another tech I work with. They blew again already, and I don't think it's the ARP's at fault either.

+1 on OE head gaskets with ARP studs as being the best bet. I've never had that combo have a repeat failure, but I have had a few repeat failures using stock bolts.