Cummins

Rate this topic

When my dealer finally changes hands it will be a serious Ford truck dealership and we are going to be selling and servicing medium duty trucks again. Supposedly with a large customer base. Any of you guys do a lot of Cummins work and have some advice for what might be ahead for us?

Well Kieth I have changed jobs and I'm an engine tech at the cummins dealer here. Spend the time getting familiar with quickserve, it is pretty good but takes a bit of time to learn where things are in there. Troubleshooting is very structured, FOLLOW the steps in order if you want to get paid warranty. the information with a fault code is great, the theory, a schematic of the circuit involved, shop talk is a common thing if there is for the code to look at, all on the page for that code with t/s steps to follow. all in all the the mid-range engines do pretty well. You guys will probably have to do some cummins training to get certified for warranty work, but not a big deal. post if you have questions and I will help if i can. The 6.7 md engines have a rear gear train, common rail, with vgt and egr, they also use scr on the 10' engines. All systems you have already seen, so nothing crazy new for you.

Good to hear. As far as I know the Cummins is the only diesel engine option for the F-650/750 trucks now. No more Navistar, no more CAT... I went through the CAT ACERT training but it was worthless for me because we really were not performing any warranty engine repairs at all. They just wanted to be able to sell them. The new people expect to sell and service which is fine with me. They are hot to get us going with training so I expect some extended classroom time is coming my way and probably for my partner too.

I went through the cummins training and IMO it was by far the best training program I have been through. When I did it several years ago it was on CD's. Each engine group had a cd packet that could take 10 plus hrs to complete. Once those prerequisites were complete, you do some in person classes then the big certification test. You would probably go to Denville, NJ for the cert test. Cummins insite software has its goods and bads, and seems a bit outdated and lacking in the data monitor areas, as well as being slow to read data. Very user friendly though and most troubleshooting can be done with the code info like diesel doc stated.

I've been slacking with quickserve, don't see many cummins anymore so I don't use it to often, and now quickserve is getting difficult for me to find info efficiently.

Denville would be sweet as I live near by! I am sure that location is still in the vocational school there where I went in high school. Years back I went there for a "familiarization" course for sales eligibility. I would prefer to stay clear of New York City altogether or have to travel but this is a must do situation for me and my fellow techs.

You thought ford warranty had you by the balls? Just wait until you start working on those cummins motors and deal with rapidserve

I always steered clear of those things....