How much is too much?

Rate this topic

I had posted on another thread elsewhere about a 6.4L that had the right side glowplug harness out of the valve cover and lost 12 L of oil soon after we did the rad.

Well here it is. Customer has truck chipped and lifted with all the aftermarket goodies like exhaust and intake. He pulled out to pass a bunch of trucks in the highway and blew out the harness from the valve cover.

How much crankcase pressure do you think is necessary to cause this?

I think the answer to your question is in performing a crankcase pressure test. If crankcase pressure is what is causing the glow plug boots to blow out of the valve cover I would say it is excessive but you need to TEST it and PROVE it.

After further testing #8 is down 13% on relative compression and crankcase pressure is around 13 at idle and pegs our gauge at 2000 rpm. It puffs like a steam train at idle. Customer has been told depending on cause of failure this may not be warranty. He has given us the ok to go further. So up next is the fuel leak tests. Unfortunately it came to us with only 2 liters of oil in it, so checking for overfilled oil won't happen. Its starts to rattle like it has a leaky injector after running for a bit though.

No compression on #8, rest are 300 PSI. Nothing on the mist test. Nothing on the high pressure pump leak test. Glow plug and injector tip both look good. The valve train looks good. Really curious as to the loss of compression. Will post a pic when I get the head off.

Update: #8 piston is split in 2 right along the pin line. There are a few little pieces in the pan, thus it also has a couple of holes in it. Given the condition of the other cylinders, which are fine, we are assumming a faulty piston or the injector stuck open.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We live at about 580 meters above sea level. Bear in mind some of this could be the nature of our compression tester.... we have never, ever seen readings much above about 350 PSI... for my part, if I see 325ish on our gauge, I may not actually consider this as "good" but I might see it as "acceptable".

A compression test is only one step in a comprehensive determination of a cylinders ability to seal compression. We are looking more for even values than absolute values.

Depending on my findings, I might crank the engine "dry" about 6 compression strokes watching the reaction of the gauge on each stroke... I might crank the engine to achieve "absolute value". I might repeat the test "wet" or I might "leak" the cylinder in question. Before I do any of this stuff, I'll do a power balance and relative compression if available and likely a crankcase pressure test as well.

We need to avoid reading too much into a situation.

Speaking of "relative compression".... Ford watches the crankshaft trigger wheel for rpm variations to "assume" cylinder sealing ability. Back in the 80's, Sun Equipment was marketting engine analysers that used starter current draw to assume cylinder sealing ability. So far, one seems about as accurate as the other for leading or misleading the tech.

We too were a little perplexed at the 300 psi readings, until we tried it on a new truck and even borrowed our closest dealership's gauge. 300 psi is normal for us.

300 psi on a 7.3L is a bad sign...did they drop the compression ratio dramatically on the 6.4L? Of course that assumes a decent cranking speed.

7.3 is 17.5:1, 6.0 is 18:1, 6.4 is 17.5:1, 6.7 is 16.1:1.