What is all involved in lifter replacement?

Rate this topic

I have to replace the Left Head lifters, have read the WSM and somewhat have an idea on how to go about the process but was wondering what you guys have done on lifter replacement? Removed engine and branchtubes, both heads and then go from there? I should replace all sixteen on both heads right? Thanks!

What? No sense of adventure? Can't handle the sound of rolling dice? In Olde Blighty there are some that would consider you a bit of a "poofta".... just sayin'.

Seriously, in a retail situation I can see the fat old redhead quoting a long block or a complete - I want to fix the damned thing... not marry it.

What Mike said. I would also endorse a new oil cooler. If the oil filter entered bypass mode in the interim, there is always the chance for metal debris to hide in nasty places.

I second the oil cooler replacement along with the short block if the cam and lifters are worn.

It really doesn't matter if the oil filter went into bypass, the oil pump always supply's unfiltered oil to the cooler first then it goes to the oil filter. All the Ford diesels do this, stupid design if you ask me.