High eot after repair

Rate this topic

Question.....Did a Head gasket job with new oil cooler and egr cooler. now check engine light comes on with the wrench and codes for eot and ect corilation. ids shows ect at 200 f and eot at 240. tried new eot sensor and same concern. did flush with vc-9(this engine is very well maintain to begin with)....what else could cause this other than a faulty oil cooler that was installed..thanks

ECT at 200F tells me the cooling system is working normal. You didn't mention fan clutch operation so I will assume it's ok. The high EOT at this point would be a faulty cooler if you followed TSB diagnosis. Unless you have something causing a coolant flow restriction somewhere in the curcuit. What was EOT/ECT before the repair?

Fan is working properly....and all does lead to a faulty cooler.....eot and ect were almost matching each other before origanal repair. got the cooler out this morning and it is clogged with some sort of flaky substance on the coolant side of the cooler.

been bit in the ass by this once. p012f is casued by a reduced flow issue. I found a cavatated front cover on a 6.0 was the root cause of the concern. not a lack of flushing like the good people at tech support are gonna tell you.

also is there a trubo bolt spacer not accounted for ( like the 03 style one) if so it may be in the blue hose causing like issues.

Quote:
also is there a trubo bolt spacer not accounted for ( like the 03 style one) if so it may be in the blue hose causing liek issues.

Now that is a very interesting statement! I will be in tune with that idea the next time I open a gasket set in a cooler job.

Quote:
also is there a trubo bolt spacer not accounted for ( like the 03 style one) if so it may be in the blue hose causing liek issues.
Now that is a very interesting statement! I will be in tune with that idea the next time I open a gasket set in a cooler job.

I've noticed this a number of times when opening a gasket set, luckily I've always noticed it before installing it.

Originally Posted By: Brad Clayton
Quote:

I've noticed this a number of times when opening a gasket set, luckily I've always noticed it before installing it.

I always go through gasket sets and organize everything to make sure I have all I need. Never seen a spacer in the tube though.

Ok so I replaced the oil cooler and flushed the cooling system forwards and backwards and run engine....at idle temps are ok...running down the high way the eot hits 252 degrees and coolant reaches 200 to 210 degrees. brought truck back and popped the back side of oil cooler off and put a garden hose in the degas bottle and water flows out of the oil cooler rapidly...so i know the cooler isnt clogged. hotline says it has a clogged cooler again and may need a engine.....really do not believe this needs an engine....

Check the t-stat, maybe the disc is broken on the back of it or something is lodged in it. Also With the engine running pull the degass hose that comes up from the oil cooler and see what there is for flow.

You said you tried a new EOT sensor. Did you do a cold soak check on the sensor to see if it is biased? Is it possible you may have a wiring issue causing a higher than normal return signal to the PCM?

So end result of issue was the bullet proof egr cooler customer supplied. If I can figure out how to upload a picture in this stream I will......The rear inlet where the cooler is welded...the hole for the coolent flow was welded almost shut and a severe restriction was the cause of the concern.

So thanks for the info on how to upload the pic...had to change the file to a jpeg file...as u can see I cut the back side of the egr cooler and low and behold where is the flow to go??

You know, up until I read this post, I was toying with the idea of possibly recommending the install of one of these BPD EGR coolers. Now my question is, WHO is paying for this repair? The customer or the source that sold him the aftermarket EGR cooler?

I don't recommend that you use this cooler. The main reason to cool EGR is to reduce the amount of soot produced for the given amount of EGR. This cooler will not cool as effectively as a factory cooler, and it may actually flow more EGR. Therefore, soot output will increase if you use this cooler. It can lead to extra soot in the oil, extra deposits on pistons, and extra soot out the exhaust. Therefore, this cooler is likely no longer emissions compliant.

If you are going to modify the engine for "off road" usage (wink wink), then you'd be better off doing an EGR delete or block off.

If you are going to modify the engine for "off road" usage (wink wink), then you'd be better off doing an EGR delete or block off.

It's like he is just asking for Jim to tear him a new one. Posted ImagePosted Image

I think Jim would be nicer to you if you just called him old.... Posted Image

I thought an egr cooler was needed on a diesel due mainly to the inherently high EGTs. Introducting hot EGR into a system that needs to cool combustion to reduce NOx just doesn't make sense.

I wonder if anyone has checked EGT with a pyrometer before and after installing a bulletproof cooler. That would tell you for sure how much less it effective it is at cooling EGR

Is soot accumulation really more of a concern?

It's not the that the recirculated exhaust is hot/cool. The ~300 degree temps don't help with power production due to it raising IAT..

It's the fact that the gasses are inert. Which effectively reduces peak combustion temps.

Yes I do understand that less oxygen available reduces combustion temperatures but what I was getting at was the coolers purpose. The cooler itself doesn't reduce NOx emissions but it cools the fairly hot and large volume of inert gasses entering the intake

The cooler is there to protect the egr valve and intake manifold from being baked by the extremely hot exhaust. If that valve opens just after a high load run up, without the cooler it would do some serious heat damage.