Is an EGT gauge necessary?

Rate this topic

I am switching from a 460 gas motor truck to an 05 6.0L PSD to tow an 11000# trailer. Most of my towing is in the Sierra's (6% grades, 8600 ft passes). I am going to add a transmission temp gauge but I am unsure if I need an EGT gauge. I do not plan on making any powertrain modifications (chip, air intake, exhaust etc). Does the PCM software programming have safeguards built in to prevent excessively high exhaust gas temps under all operating conditions? Would adding a cat back exhaust system effect the designed operation of the turbo or provide a significant drop in EGT to make it worth the money? My diesel experience is limited to the GM 350 diesels with mechanical injection circa 1980's (Olds and GM truck) and my shop only works on gas motors so I have no experience on the new generation of diesels so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pete, Welcome to our Forums... nice to finally hear from one of our quieter members! :P

An EGT sensor is not a stock item so it would be safe to say that if you leave your 6.0L stock there is no NEED for one. If you plan on doing some heavy towing I could see having an EGT sensor just to keep an eye on the engine is doing in general. I also think they look cool! If you make any mod's to fuel rates I would say it's a must because if things get too hot the only safeguard is your right foot.

I kinda wish that it was standard for these trucks to have EGT, engine temp, trans temp, oil press and volt meters that were real time, real data gages. I really do not understand the thinking behind the engineering here.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, The 6.0 engine will hit over 1400 degree's stock, if you are pulling a good size trailer, especially on grade's that you are describing. Even with a free flowing exhaust, air system upgrade's, and no programmer. These engine's make plenty of heat, so YES, I would defintely suggest that you run an EGT gauge and a transmission gauge that actually work's. Hope I've been a help. :D

• 3 weeks later...

PeteTowing that kind of weight I would recommend the EGT gauge installed pre turbo and monitor it closely when pulling hills. On my Excursion with a 7.3 and the various mods done to it it is real easy to get the EGTs up there especially when the chip is in the higher HP settings, I mainly tow in the 75 HP mode and see no real problems with EGTs but I am pulling less weight. I know your 05 is stock but if your anything like me things don't stay stock very long. I have also read on the other forums I hang around that the stock 6.0s get the EGTs up there pretty easily. I would recommend a transmission temp gauge with the sender in the pan as the stock transmission gauges on the 02 and up are really inaccurate and don't tell the real story until it is to late, I don't know if this was changed for the 05s. You are going to love the diesel for towing and will say why did I wait so long to do this swap to diesel, I did and will never look back to a gas engine for doing any serous work. I also regret to say I came from the 5.7L GM diesel days. :eek:

Hey FordMastertech, What's the highest EGT you have seen on a 7.3 without your chip or tuner?

...and what's the threshold, or maximum temperature you want to avoid before pistons start to melt? I know you spend time in the upgrades board on TDS web site and I think I saw that posted some time ago. I am just curious because on occasion a customer might ask me. Since I don't see any trucks with mods or own one I have no idea what to tell them!

Keith

On a 7.3, 1250 pre turbo is the limit posted from Navistar and on TDS for any length of time. I have seen around 1100 or so stock and can get right up to the 1250 mark in the higher 125 HP settings real easy when towing. I mainly run it in the 75 HP setting unless I want to smoke out a rice burner at the stop lights. I am running a TS 4 position chip 50 75 125 140 HP settings. In the lower 2 settings I can hold it to the floor all day long towing a 8500 lbs travel trailer with no problems at all except the Excursion will go to fast up the hills. I am also running a 4 inch exhaust, a freer flowing air filter setup which helps in lowering the EGTs and a few other goodies for dependable power. I still have my 87 Ford Van with a 5.0L that I converted over to a Mustang MAF fuel injection system it ran very good empty but when towing up hills it would fall on it's face. Words can't say enough about the Diesel's for towing. I just laugh at the hills as I go up them now in overdrive with the torque converter still locked and the cruise on.

FMT