BAD Turbo Failure

Rate this topic

I have seen a few bad ones but this one made a mess and a half! Another dealer installed a CRHA about 450 miles ago. Customer states he heard a loud noise and the engine stalled. Would start but smoked really bad then wouldn't run.

Shaft in the turbo is seized and split into two. I never saw oil back up into the manifolds and fill the EGR cooler. I drained 4+ quarts out of the charge air cooler before cleaning it. There appeared to be about another four quarts on my shop floor that slowly dripped from the exhaust.

I have seen a few bad ones but this one made a mess and a half! Another dealer installed a CRHA about 450 miles ago. Customer states he heard a loud noise and the engine stalled. Would start but smoked really bad then wouldn't run.

Sounds earily close to one I had in last friday. The saving grace for this guy was his buddy's truck. He gets the call that his friend's F150 stalled and he needs a ride to us. Both were on their way home to Grande Prairie from Leduc. On the way to drop off his buddy here his makes a loud pop then starts smoking. They limped it here to find out the impeller wheel snapped off and broke the pins for 3 VGT vanes, oddly enough the shaft still spun. He recently had the unison ring replaced elsewhere along with some other work. It got a complete turbo. Luckily for him he had his cat removed. 3 hours later he is happy and both are on their way home.

• 5 weeks later...