5.8 from hell

Rate this topic

kellyf

Have a econoline van with 5.8l.Came in with coolant leak.Mind you the water pump,intake and timing cover all been off prbottomeviously.Coolant pouring out under thermostat housing.go to remove only to find lower intake cracked where they tightened thermostat housing up and busted intake and bent thermostat housing.took dog house off the find coolant leaking at r/r anyway,so i procede to remove lower intake.guy i work with repaired lower intake and I installed it and new thermostat housing.fill witrh water and pressure test.find water coming out bottom of timing cover.Great.Procede to remove timing cover to find upper left bolt was left broken off in block.they crammed rtv in hole and slapped back together.Also found that I cannot drill out broken bolt.It is the one that goes next to where the coolant flows from the block to water pump.think maybe they broke an extracter off in there.At this time , sm and customer running out of patience,I am losing my ass on this job.Not due to my own fault.Asked to try and just reseal timing cover against my best judgment.Slap on plenty of grey rtv and pray it seals.Well guess what?Still leaks coolant.i have no money,or do I wish to purchase a bit that would chew up broken bolt.This van belongs to a person who is handicapped,and they need it back.I am really sorry they bought a piece of crap,seeing it is a 95 model and all,but I have went the extra mile.I did not mention that i had to drill out two broken lower intake bolts and install heli coils.I have read where these timing covers can crack,but all I see is what looks like casting marks.Has anyone ran into this and what would be your suggestion for broken bolt?I do not like to give up on anything.I have diesel work to do that will pay my rent.This thing is sucking me dryHelp!!!!

Are bolts broken off flush with block? If so I have held proper size nut over broken bolt and put a tack inside it with a mig. [i usually use 3/8 This gives you more room inside to weld] This welds nut to broken bolt. Then just carefully turn it out. Works most of the time. Although it requires teardown again. Only way I can think of repairing it properly. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...