oil pan

Rate this topic

Tried searching- no luck. Can the oil pan on a 96 f350 be removed with engine still in chassis?? Got the trans out for rear main replacement trying to upsell pan reseal. Looks possible, is it though??

Yes it can, but I don't suggest doing it that way. The pan is glued on with silicone, no gasket, and the pan surface has to be bone ass dry for the silicone to stick. It's much more successful if you pull the engine and invert it to change the pan so oil is not slobbering down the pan rails as you're putting the pan on.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I don't do them in chassis but I have worked along side a few guys that do. Almost half I would guess have problems with leaks afterward.

Okay, I admit to having done one. It was in 1995 on a new truck that apparently wasn't sealed correctly during assembly.

Some guys argue that many of these trucks are aging and there is a lot that go wrong due to corrosion and in chassis means disturbing fewer fasteners, exhaust parts, fuel lines and such that often seize or break. The counter argument for that is, engine out is the time address many of these items. Some customers will agree and take advantage of that notion and others will be angered by the potential for spending a lot of money they hadn't planned on.

Food for thought.

Touchy subject. I do them in chassis. Easy as pie. I do recommend letting the engine sit overnight with the pan removed to allow most of the oil to run out of the block so it doesn't run on to the silicone when you're reinstalling the pan.

When you say "pan reseal"... Does that mean replace the pan, or clean and reseal it? I'm not comfortable reusing a pan. They normally deform considerably when you break them free of the block.

And, while on the topic of 7.3 rear main seals... Have you made sure the rear main seal is the actual cause of your leak? I've only ever seen one 7.3 rear main seal leak in my life. Just make sure that the oil leak you are repairing isn't coming from the top of the engine and running down the drain hole into the bell housing.

After I got it apart it ended up being the rear cover that the seal bolts to that was leaking. I also replaced one of the oil rail in head end plugs while the trans was out. Customer still wanted seal replaced while trans was out.