Broken rocker arms and no oil flow......

Rate this topic

So, currently I have in my bay an engine that I just removed the head, per hotline, to retrieve a piece of a broken pushrod. Originally it came in with #1 dead. Exhaust rocker broken and intake pusrod bent and broken. The rest off the rocker tips were also missing.

It got all new rockers and 10 new valve bridges along with 1 pushrod.

After running the engine with the valve covers off to check for any fuel leaks, I noticed that #1 exhaust rocker was not getting any lube oil. The very same that broke. The intake rocker at this point is now shooting oil out like its a geyser.

I removed the rocker assembly and inspected the pushrod for any blockages, none, didn't think so because I checked it before assembly anyways.

So my conclusion to this is that the lifter is buggered, even though inspection when the head was off revealed a lifter in good condition.

Lesson learned, if you have a broken rocker arm and the valves are not sticky, change the lifter.....I have to do this all over again.... Posted Image

On a good note: I only put enough back together to get the engine running.

You mean you ran the engine with the cab still in the air and the valve cover off? Posted Image

Originally Posted By: lmorris
You mean you ran the engine with the cab still in the air and the valve cover off? Posted Image

Dropped the cab, hooked up tranny cooler lines and P/S lines, hooked up engine harness and frame connectors, hooked up the batteries and ground straps, and BOOM, engine runs.

Ran it for 10-15 minutes this way with both valve covers off.

coolant fill?

No coolant. Was a little iffy on this part of it. The little time it runs shouldn't be an issue. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

2 new lifters are in and head is back on. I think I am going to tear into the oil pump as well. Something about this one tells me it's going to be a bumpy ride before its %100 fixed.

Does anyone have any idea the time frame it should take to get oil at all rocker arms if I were to crank over the engine before dropping cab? Never thought to check base oil pressure until now.