02 windstar intermittent bucking and running rough

Rate this topic

Matt Saunoras

We've got a windstar we use as shuttle van that's been running strange lately. It's the same one that we drove while the rear axles were recalled and it nearly killed our used car manager when the thing broke driving down the road. Now it will occassionally buck and surge just driving normally, seemingly no rhyme or reason, never does it at idle or brake torquing and no misfires showing up.

It's definitely a CKP/CMP related concern. Every time it does it it'll boot you out of power balance. The other guy in the shop just recently did upper intake gaskets and an IAC, then when he found out it was a sync concern he put a cam and crank sensor in it. Since I got wind of it we've checked the PCM connector for water intrusion and drove it down the road with the alt unplugged. no water was found and unplugging the alt didn't make a difference either.

Now this is the end of the road for normal diag I believe. Not one pid is showing anything abnormal other than an RPM drop when it happens. CMP_F never showed a thing. No other pids seem to be useful for this so I'm not sure what is next. I'm not even a little proficient with a scope but I've got a feeling I'm going to have to learn unless someone has an idea. The cold line was ice cold today, so no help from them.

Anyone run across this before? I recently fixed a 500 with an engine harness that was doing the exact same thing but it atleast gave me a weird pip code to go by.

I did find a 104 pin bob and since we've been slow I am probably gonna get the go ahead to give it a shot.

I never did get a chance to look at the windbag. If I do I'll report back on what I find

actually I'm getting my ass handed to me by another gas job right now. 08 F250 5.4 with a seemingly random but not so random miss + some cam codes. If I can't get it by tomorrow I'll make a post.

I did use the vct cam timing oscilloscope feature today on IDS(yes I'm that desperate). That was interesting to say the least

• 2 weeks later...

A coil fixed the windstar and a long block fixed the F250

I suspect the windstar was actually misfiring and powerbalance wasn't picking it up. Either that or RFI but I've never seen a coil pack cause RFI

The F-250 was losing oil pressure only when really hot and the vct retardation must have been causing the miss. It would only start to miss when put into gear

Quote:
I suspect the windstar was actually misfiring and powerbalance wasn't picking it up. Either that or RFI but I've never seen a coil pack cause RFI

I had an escape a few weeks ago with a coil causing so much rfi that it was causing the IC to shut down and restart while driving.