HPFP fitting leak testing

Rate this topic

I haven't been on in a while with any photos so I thought I would put something up. This is the way I leak check the lines on the HPFP after R&R. This is probably a rehash for most of us but if it isn't, I would highly suggest doing something to check the fittings for leakage before reassembling the truck. It could make for a really bad day if you find out there is a leak when the truck is back together.

Alrighty then, this is what I start out with: this is the old pvt adapter from the WDS and a home made fuel pump jumper. The jumper will work for 60's and 64's.

Posted Image

I screw the hose into the fuel cooler line.

Posted Image

And run the other end into a drain bucket so I can bleed the air out of the system.

Posted Image

Plug the jumper into the fuel pump.

Posted Image

Power the harness with a 12 volt source.

Posted Image

I reassemble all the fuel lines on the truck so there are no breaks. I leave the right side of the heat shield off so the pump fittings can be monitored.

Posted Image

I power the pump up and bleed the system by opening the fitting on the PVT hose. Once all the air is purged I close the fitting and let the pump run for 10 or 15 minutes. I periodically open the ball valve on the PVT hose to allow more air that gets picked up to bleed off.

After running the pump for a while a close inspection of the fittings reveals everything is A OKAY.

Posted Image

After doing this the truck will start right up with no worries and that is one less thing to have to bother with when the cab has been off and all the other fluids are all pooched out.

And for the benefit of those not following this... we had a thread where we discussed leaks at the Viton o-rings for the LOW PRESSURE lines at the HPFP. Some guys were getting leaks there. Two things I recall were lubricating the seals before assembly might help eliminate leaks and there was a question about the lower torque spec on the nuts.

Just sayin.

Nice post Brad. Posted Image

I have yet to have a Viton leak, but I sand any imperfections down that may be on the bottom of those acorn nuts and lube the seals heavily with engine oil.

Thanx, just doin my part for the community.....i.e. I'm bored as shite. Posted Image

Nice post Brad. Do you actually crank the engine over with the cab in the air too? I have the exact same jumper harness setup as you've rigged up. I also have one for 6.7s too, after changing fuel filters.

I have a similar procedure with the jumper wire for the fuel pump, but I use the 6.4L fuel bleeder kit with the hose from the 6.0L fuel tester kit, run the hose back into the fuel tank and voila Posted Image

Excellent write up Brad!

• 7 months later...

I had my first leaker the other day. I was doing the pump cover gasket tsb and found the high pressure fuel pump to fuel cooler line was very hard to take off. So I preformed the leak test and found fuel just pouring out that line that was hard to take off. I tried to re seal it but it would still leak even with new nuts and seals. I inspected the line and found the surface were the o-ring sits was concave. I guess they had torqued the copper washers too much at the factory and it damaged the line so that the viton would not seal. Man that 5 minute test saved my ass, and my pay check!!!!!

I always power up the pump and pre-bleed the fuel system. Haven't had one leak yet thankfully. Those fuel lines worry me every time though

also another thing to note is make sure the fittings on the pump don't come loose either. I always check those too before the lines go on.

Once, I had a Viton seal leak on me. Ever since, I've been lubricating them with silicone dielectric, and have not had an issue. I don't bother to check for leaks prior to finishing the assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one leak after a High Psi fuel pump cover gasket repair--ever since then, I jump power to the pump and do the same thing. Very wise. I do this when doing 6.0 head gaskets with the cab off also--I loosen the fuel rail plugs at the rear of the heads and bleed the fuel rails in the heads--helps them start up and run better a little quicker.

• 2 years later...

I have one right now that also has a concave line where it connects to the HPFP. I would advise anyone to inspect these lines before reinstalling them.

My experience has been if it has copper washers on when it comes in it will leak with Viton seals. I always replace lines if it has copper washers reuse if has Viton seals. That has worked for me