99 F550 P0221 No Throttle

Rate this topic

Had an interesting road service call yesterday. A&O railroad had 99 F550 rail repair truck down on the rails 10 miles up on mountian!

Driver origionaly called in no start, But called back said it had no accelerator pedal. Collected some basic tools, Scanner, Test light etc... Met rail shuttle and off we went.

Scanned it found 7 codes among them P0221 THR Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B". Also noticed it had gauges inop and some warning lights inop. Checked fuses outside OK. Found fuse 19 [5 amp] inside blown. Replaced fuse and everything back to normal until we stopped at crossing to derail. Fuse blown again. Installed another fuse and got it to shop. Found several things on this fuse, Cluster, GEM Module, Overdrive Switch Cancel, Idle Validation Switch, Overhead Console. After an hour of testing found shorted OD Cancel wiring at shift handle.

Hard to believe 5amp fuse will strand a truck.

This is one for the memory bank.

I knew what it was as soon as I read the title...had a Ford engineer call me about this after I ordered a shifter. I had replaced about 10 of them in about 1.5 years, several under warranty...he wanted me to replace the complete column and send the old one back so they could see what was causing the failure.

Since the shifter was out-of-stock and BO, I taped the harness and added a small zip-tie to reduce the rub, so the customer could use the truck. I let the customer see where/what the problem was so if it quit working he could do a quick roadside repair. He had been feeding it a steady diet of fuses. Of course he never came back and had the shifter replaced...

It's one of those fixes that you never forget. Makes you look like a hero...much like the 6.0L injector harness where you could temporarily "fix" a no-start by prying it up off the intake mounting studs...

This is one of the oldest pattern failures. After you see a couple you are able to instantly recognize the problem just by the description: No accelerator, instrument cluster doesn't work, shifter won't come out of Park, Fuse 19 keeps blowing...

I keep thinking there was a TSB for this despite never being able to find it.

To you more experienced Diesel Techs, This is run of the mill I guess.

It really wasn't a difficult diag. I found it interesting a 5 amp fuse will kill a Super Duty.

Something like whipping a giant with a small rock.

I realize now my post went in a direction I didn't intend. My original point was as Keith posted that they didn't seem to be aware of the issue...we send warranty parts back supposedly for inspection. Guess this proves they don't actually check all the parts or they wouldn't have wanted a whole column to see what was causing the concern.