New Allison TC-10, 10 speed

Rate this topic

I got my first chance to put my hands on a new Allison TC-10 last night, in a 2011 Cascadia demo truck that Allison brought out for a local fleet. Overall, it looks pretty good. Big, for sure, but bottom pan is completely flat and low so it should be super easy to pull. I think all the extra hydraulic hoses they had running to the pressure taps, and extra wiring/sensors probably made it look worse then it is. Driver said shifting is barely noticeable, but hes not pulling a trailer. I didnt have time to track down the TCM, so Im not sure if they're using a 4th gen or what. 2 electrical connectors on the back of the case, one is the old round connector like on the back of the 1000/2000 and the other is new connector I haven't seen before. I didn't see remote filters anywhere, and the pan is flush, so Id assume were back to pulling pans for services, but it looks pretty lightweight. Also noticed what looks like a fairly large accumulator on the cooler return line. Not sure what thats about. Didnt have a camera on me last night, but if its still around tonight, Ill be sure to get some pictures.

Info here, and here . 500,000 mile service intervals, 750,000 mile warranty, and a price competitive with an autoshift? Thats pretty cool.

I still can't wrap my head around these big auto trannies. Simply amazing stuff. I got to drive a Mercedes Army transport truck. Holy crap that thing was huge, and it had an automatic in it. My brother in law was a driver/instructor for the Canadian Forces stationed here in Edmonton.

Posted Image]

Posted Image

Heres the front, you can see the pan is almost flush with the bottom of the DPF and air tanks. Looking at that canister now, I wonder if it might be a filter. One of their test hoses was leaking.

Posted Image

Its pretty big in there, but honestly, I almost think the final production ones might actually be easier to pull then a fuller.

TCM was mounted under the hood, standard 4th gen, but this thing looks like it was ordered with a 4000 series as the old harness was tied up in the framerail so who knows.

Posted Image

Also noticed that it had a cooler bypass valve that you see on alot of firetrucks, so Im curious if that will be standard or not. Maybe they need it to keep the temp up with as much cruising as these will be doing.

EDIT: Pics were screwed up.

• 4 weeks later...