Ford Transit DIESEL

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I'm no Sprinter expert, but I've only seen diesels in them, but they're quiet enough to pass as gassers. I think the current motor is a V6 of about 3 liters. They drive very nicely, and if the new Ford drives that well it will sell like a bitch. I think that is what the gurus at FMC were eying when they designed that van.

What do you mean, "What happened to the Sprinter?" The sell the shit out of them around here.

I "think" they were all MB no matter whether thay were badged MB, FL, or Dodge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted Image

Yeah, the Sprinter was an MB thing through and through. That first model Sprinter that we had here first came out in the rest of the world in 1995. It debuted as a Freightliner in North America in 2002, as a Dodge in 2003, and as a Mercedes Benz under the updated platform in 2010. As you can imagine with any German vehicle, there are a lot of electrical gremlins that are hard to diagnose and trace, and parts are enormously expensive. Not to mention, when Dodge loaded the Sprinter into their parts catalogue, they used all of the Mercedes pictures. This may not seem like a big deal, but Mercedes has a unique grouping system like Dodge, and are both totally different. For a small example (there are much worse examples, trust me) if you wanted to find a rear axle seal, you would have to go into the picture with the ABS sensor in it to see a picture of the seal. This picture was grouped in electrical. So glad I don't have to deal with them anymore.

02-06 North American Sprinters get the OM612 2.7L I-5 Diesel.

07+ North American Sprinters get the OM642 3.0L V6 Diesel.

There is no 5L diesel. I dont know where that rumor came from, this is the first I' ve heard of it. The Pickuptrucks.com article referenced above is the best story I've seen with engine "speculation".

Read the 5th post in this thread. It's out there, but no definitive yes or no. Just a possibility. I realize not every engine anyone "designs" goes into production, but you never know. If the Euro-diesel won't work, there must be one in the works.

There is no way the diesel will get 50mpg.After we add on the bs gov regulations,I DOUBT it will get 35mpg.My field rep told me the 6.4L gets 25mpg in the ones they sell in Mexico,however the damn thing spews tons of particlate matter.Also if we stick a expensive polution device like the rocket on the 6.7.Just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am sitting in traffic waiting to pay the toll and cross the George Washington Bridge and I come across a new Mercedes Sprinter. DRW with a BlueTec diesel engine and it looked "custom" though I can't say for sure. I am unfamiliar with the Mercedes trim levels. This may have been a conversion van. Two tone paint, black and a beautiful dark red. Chrome accents and chrome wheels, blackened window tint and for un-known reasons... a grille guard. Other than the goofy looking grille guard this was a sharp looking van!

• 2 weeks later...

I asked our instructor last week while at a transmission course. He verified that the 3.5L inline 5 turbo IS going to be the diesel option. When I asked him about the emission levels he stated that European diesel standards are higher than ours, making this engine more than adequate for us.

Not sure how far into the workings of Ford your instructor gets, but ours, and Jim can vouch for this, gets in pretty deep, and he won't share anything unless he is %100 positive. As far as FSE's go, well that's another story. They keep current on what's on the streets from my experience. Time will tell.

We just had an apprentice come back from ASSET. According to the SAIT instructors, VCM 2 isn't going to be out for a long while.

But I see it is listed on the screen in IDS 78.......

Yes, it is listed. Everything I have heard (including today from my FSE) is that the VCM 2 is coming soon. On the Rotunda tab on PTS it still shows "The IDS VCM II launch is targeted for North America in the 1st half of 2012." I know my dealer has one pre-order in so ultimately, when I see it, I'll know they are available. Posted Image

We were able to use them in our last class. Very nice, no crashes. Love the no cables part. They are capable of reprogramming anything wireless with no issues. We were told not to expect delivery before the end of May. They will be around 1000 Canuck-bucks.