Right side exhaust manifold removal

Rate this topic

I have one with broken bolts and a bad leak. This is my first leaking manifold on a 6.4 and it is customer pay. I have read that it is a pain in the ass and that some people lift cabs to do this. Do you have to lift the cab or can it be done through the wheel well. Just wondering what you guys have been doing.

He's no fire fighter. He just likes to play with the siren... and his hose.

Besides that he is right. Just take the fender wells out and you have access, though that silly EGR cooler is in the way on the left side.

Quote:
He's no fire fighter. He just likes to play with the siren... and his hose.
Das 'cause I be SLAP HAPPY! Posted Image

Took me a while to find that damn photo, that I would break it out for the spring.

Quote:
Even easier when you have a guy you can call in that can get the broken bolts out with the manifold still installed!

Please tell me your not talking about the guy in your avitar.

Nope. We had one of them in Windsor too.

I watched him get a stud out of a 5.4 3v 05 F-series, with the manifold on. he DID drill into the water jacket, but he did get the stud out!

This guy (somehow) welds a stud on to the broken bolt and spins it out with the manifold still installed. He won't tell anybody what kind of rod he uses and takes the removed piece with him... perhaps so you can't see what the "stud" he welds on to the broken bolt actually is.

I've done that before, it works well if the busted off piece turns in the head. I weld a short piece of rod with a "t" on the end of it first. Use a hex shaped rod, so if the T doesn't turn, you can cut it off with a whizzy-wheel and put a 5mm socket on it. You need to use a softer steel, and get the welder as hot as you can.

I worked with an older guy years ago, that swore by an arc welder for removing broken studs. If stud was broken off flush, he would hold a large nut over the hole where the stud was broken off flush. Then he would jam the arc rod into the broken stud, start the puddle and then fill the nut with weld. Let it cool for a while and they always spun right out. I actually used it successfully a few times, untill I burnt my arm badly when the puddle fell out of the nut and landed on my arm. The problem is now, not much we work on would have room for access with an arc welder.

I've extracted 6.4 broken manifold bolts with the head still on. Problem is the first one the gasket had a hole blown through it, so when I put the new bolt in, it still pissed and whistled anyway... oh well. At least I proved I could do it.

I use my mig to pull exhaust studs almost on a regular basis. I don't weld a nut though, I build the stud back up and get a 5/16 or 1/4 extractor over it and walk it out. It takes time to perfect but it works better than anything.

I had some slag land in my shirt pocket last week too (stupid I know). I've got a nice burn about an inch away from my nipple right now. It burned through a bank receipt and 3 dollars I had in my pocket.

I didn't tell you guys the story of how I got my 03 turbo. The short version is a good core was turned in with the rear bolt broken off. I pulled the bolt out with the mig and the turbo is on my truck as we speak. I bought a totally junk 03 core off a guy I know for $50 and handed that in to parts.