6.9 rear main

Rate this topic

YukonTyler

Pulled the T19 in my 1986 6.9 the other day and installed new bearings and synchro rings. While the tranny and x-few case are out I decided to do the clutch and turn the flywheel. I pulled the flywheel to find the rear main sweating. Never have done a rear main on one of these - being born in 85 they are before my time. Truck is too old for PTS.

I'm guessing I have to pull the rear engine cover. Is there a gasket for that or is it just done up with high temp silicon? Is there a wear sleeve like the front seals on 6.4s and an install tool? I really hope that it's just tap the new one into the cover and then slap it back over the crank ...

I am down in Alberta finishing up 4th year & far from my dealership in the Yukon. I won't have any special tools if they're necessary.

Having never done this repair on a 6.9L I drew a blank... then I remembered Google is our friend. It looks like the rear engine cover is sealed with a gasket. I found a Fel-pro image of a gasket and seal kit which did not appear to have a wear sleeve.

I am thinking though that an older, and I assume high mileage engine like this might benefit from a wear sleeve. At the very least be prepared with some really fine emery and crocus cloth to clean up the crank where the seal makes contact. Also, from another picture I saw it looks like the flywheel bolt holes in the crank look as though they are not blind holes. Meaning, the bolts will require some sealant to prevent oil seeping and fouling your new clutch. Look at the crank closely and make that determination for yourself. If I am wrong, so be it. I would rather be wrong than you having oil leak from the bolts.

Good luck with the repair and a picture or two of the back of this thig would be good to add to this topic... if you can.

I have done several 7.3 idi engines(virtually the same engine). You do not need to remove the rear cover to replace the seal. You can remove the seal from the cover, i use a sheet metal screw and small slide hammer. I buy the seals from international and they come with a wear sleeve and plastic seal installer. You will most likely need the wear sleeve. Use the installer supplied and tap it in. Kind of a bear, I dont like the tool they supply but it works if your patient with it. I'm pretty sure the flywheel bolt holes are through holes. spray and dry them with brake clean. I use blue breakaway strength loc-tite on the bolts. like I said that has worked on the idi 7.3 engines for me and I am pretty sure that part of the 6.9 is the same.

I love those old trucks, you cant break em. just change the oil and fuel filter and they run for ever. not power houses but they sound cool.

I've done a bunch but still draw a blank, I'm fucking old and suffer from CRS. I looked up the 7.3 on IH, I'm thinking remove the steel plate, support the plate, knock the seal out from the back side, flip the plate over, support the plate, knock the new seal into it, (use plates so you don't damage the seal) and reseal the plate with silicone. I remember the seal being really funny- like cardboard, not rubber, and prone to damage. They gave us a big plastic cone to help the seal over the backside of the crank. I "think" there was a sleeve but I'm not sure, if there is, use the flywheel (less seal and plate) to push the sleeve into place, then take the flywheel back off and complete the seal/plate install. I have the IH 7.3 info on my PC (should be the same seal) and can easily PDF it and send it to you. I'm sure I have the 6.9 stuff on paper somewhere, if you can't find OE info let us know and we'll get it to you. My e-mail is bamacker@aol.com.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

much thanks boys. i will have a look at what the parts kit comes with and go from there. if it comes with an install tool then i'll leave the rear cover on, drill the old seal and remove with the slide hammer. if it is just a seal and sleeve then i'll pop the cover and use the press.

1.3 million kilometers on the old girl. with an overhauled tranny, clutch and rear main she should be good for a few more.

Posted Image

got it all together. no leaks, no fuss, no muss. tranny shifts like a dream, too. ready to hit the road back to the Klondike.

wound up taking the plate off and pressing in the seal from the back. sleeve went on the crank. used a tim's coffee cup with the rim trimmed off as the 'special cone' to slide the rear cover with seal assy. over the crank. worked like a charm.

used a tim's coffee cup with the rim trimmed off as the 'special cone' to slide the rear cover with seal assy. over the crank. worked like a charm.

Posted Image

And I thought my kids were the only ones that made cool things out of Timmy's cups.