block issues during overhaul??

Rate this topic

I have a 97 7.3 needs an overhaul due to poor air cleaner practices. Stripped the block n took to machine shop. they said they wont warranty anything if they dont put sleeves in, because of erosion an coolant leaks into the crankcase. I looked in the jackets with digital borescope n saw no real signs of erosion. Anybody seen one leak after boring? Worth takin the chance, its my brothers truck he just bought cheap because it needs n engine.

I overhauled a 7.3 in one of my previous trucks due to ether damage, had to have 7 holes bored .030" over, and the #7 hole sleeved and bored also. The machine shop I used did not say anything about cavitation erosion in these blocks, but I have heard it being more common in the IDI engines. I had the block magnafluxed as well to check for problems, and after it was reassembled I never had any issues and the next owner is still running it around here. If the cooling system was decently maintained and looking in the expansion plugs shows the walls ok to not cause any worries, I wouldn't see any reason if it was mine to sleeve all 8 holes. Or you can search around for a shop that has the ultrasonic cylinder gauge and can check cylinder wall thickness for cavitation issues.

A buddy of mine dropped the block off and told me second hand what the machinist said. I called and talked to the machinist. He told me it is not the erosion he is worried about. The blocks are sand cast and when you machine them sometimes you will see a black dot in the cylinder wall and it will be a sand flaw in the block and than it will leak coolant. He told me the only way to be sure is to put 8 sleeves in which he doesnt have time to do. I asked him what ford reman does, and he told the reman ones he has seen all had 8 sleeves in them. Not sure what to do yet. If it was my truck I would take the chance, he will find a flaw and I need to wait for sleeves, but it is ultimately up to my brother.