Cab & Body Removal

Rate this topic

On the topic of lifting cabs, I just had a brainfart. Would you guys lift the cab for engine repairs in this?:

Posted Image

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Getting back to my tally marks though - I only make them after the vehicle is done and running due to my superstition that if I preemptively make the mark on my cart before the job is done, I may fuck something up and have to do it all over.

Is that superstition or obsessive compulsive disorder? I do goofy shit like that too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

Quote:
is that superstition or obsessive compulsive disorder? I do goofy shit like that too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

Actually it is fear of, and respect for the diesel gods. Especially Zeus, to whom I want to appear a humble servant - not a cavalier wrench jockey in need of humility. I have seen such lightning bolts hurled from Mt Olympus toward a co-worker of mine on more than one occasion. He learns things the hard way, and I prefer to learn from his mistakes, It is far better this way, not to mention more entertaining for me.

Last week he angered Zeus by dropping a bolt in a 6.0 while doing an STC. He knew it made it all the way through to the oil pan. Rather than just removing the pan to retrieve it, he thought he could outsmart the system. His grand strategy: Claim the branch tube was excessively bent, in order to have the tsb pay him to replace it. At which time of course, he could try to fish out his lost bolt with a magnet...BIG MISTAKE. He spent an entire week perched in utter misery like a flying squirrel atop a topside creeper. All this to carry out his genius plan of performing an in vehicle branch tube replacement. A procedure we both knew was unnecessary, and, as fate would have it, failed to accomplish what he set out to do anyway. For all his suffering, he ended up removing the oil pan to retrieve his lost bolt. And then, to add insult to stupidity, when he finally got everything back together, he started it only to find a cyl 7 miss from a faulty injector. Zeus must have been super pissed to shove a lightning bolt like that up his ass. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

The phrase "haste makes waste," comes to mind... As does "glutton for punishment." And that my friends, is why I choose not to tempt fate by making a preemptive tally mark before a job is done. Call me crazy if you will, psychotic perhaps. When all is said and done, I am nothing more than a product of my environment. Sometimes experience is the best teacher, and sometimes it's just the most expensive one.

In other news, ESP declined to pay for my #55 cab off project... Something about "customer abuse," or so they say. The customer couldn't come up with the 13 grand to fix his indiscretion either. This is ok for a few reasons. 1: because my car runs just fine, 2: because the Bobcat moved his piece of shit out of my stall with very little effort, and 3: because I was smart enough to have the customer to authorize 10 hours of diag/tear-down in the event ESP didn't pay...Though it may be interesting for my SM to explain to the customer why he owes us a grand for turning his truck into a pile of parts /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif. Happy truckin dumbass!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

Moral of the story: Don't make a conscious effort to destroy something you can't afford to fix. Just because your daddy didn't teach you personal responsibility, doesn't mean other people and/or Diesel gods won't teach it to you - the hard way.

Though my cart still only has 54 tally marks, at least it keeps me off the Diesel god's shit list. Does that explain it?

Below is a picture of what would have been #55:

NOW SERVING NUMBER 56...NUMBER 56 PLEASE
Posted Image

It didn't even occur to me that this could have something to do with your religious belief.

That is some seriously funny shit. First the part of your co-worker doing a branch tube for nothing but practice and then this customer with a pile of parts on four wheels, and a huge bill just for teardown. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Tony302600
Originally Posted By: Jeff_E
I always leave the master and HCU in place and just disconnect the 3 lines from the HCU. I've never had to bleed one afterward. Everything else I do is the same. Currently my 55th is torn apart. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif I think it was chipped but can't prove it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

Unbolting, wrestling, and reinstalling the HCU bracket is definitely my least favorite part of the cab-off process.

Dave

If you do decide to remove the HCU, you only need to remove 1 10mm head bolt at the rear of the HCU holding it to the bracket. The bracket does not have to come out. Also, getting back to the original instuctions as copied from the other site, the power steering cooler does not need to be touched in any way, just leave it in place. I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned this.

Actually it is fear of, and respect for the diesel gods. Especially Zeus, to whom I want to appear a humble servant...

There are forces in the world that defy logical explaination. If you have found a way to appease the gods I will not argue; I'm sure that I have what many might consider rituals, too.