'05 Excursion with '04 engine HPO issue

Rate this topic

I have a guy here that wants me to look at an ongoing high pressure oil fluctuation issue. After scanning it, I got a P2290 in memory. At idle, ICP psi actual and desired remain steady at 580 psi with IPR at between 21 to 24 % which seems normal. Driving it on the highway under WOT, ICP actual maxes out at 3700 psi while ICP desired shoots up to 4200 to 4500 psi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that desired number does seem a little high doesn't it?

Also, I just wanted your opinions on this aftermarket pump for '03 and '04 trucks:

http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-200460lbillethighpressureoilpumphpop.aspx

I've never installed one of these, but I've never read anything bad about them either.

BTW, he does have an economy tune loaded on the truck if that makes a difference.

Mike, as far as aftermarket pumps, for the 03/04 early builds, I have installed numerous pumps without any issues. I am not exact on the manufacturer, they come from a pump shop in town, I believe they are Alliant. They are just over $600 once the core is returned. A couple of the trucks have gone 500,000 km + on these pumps with no ill effects.

Mike, as far as aftermarket pumps, for the 03/04 early builds, I have installed numerous pumps without any issues. I am not exact on the manufacturer, they come from a pump shop in town, I believe they are Alliant. They are just over $600 once the core is returned. A couple of the trucks have gone 500,000 km + on these pumps with no ill effects.

That is what I just installed.

Okay, I was informed that customer still had economy tune loaded when he dropped the truck off to me. I have since returned it to the stock calibration under his instruction. After returning to stock, the truck drives a lot more like I'm used to (no surprise). I guess that explains some of the black smoke exiting the tailpipe under acceleration as well as the frequent and loud turbo farting that is now gone. This time, I managed to take two snapshot recordings with IDS while accelerating under WOT on my drive in this morning. This time, ICP_DES maxes out at 3915 psi while ICP_psi actual hovers close to those numbers, so I suspect the tuner is what's causing the variations mentioned above. However, the customer states that the surging had began long after he installed the tuner, and even returned it to the stock setting unable to repair it successfully. I have tried wiggle testing the ICP connector, and the numbers don't budge. At KOEO, ICP reads 0.24 volts which is dead squarely where it should be. Just curious, what are the chances an intermittently sticking IPR could be causing this?

Also, this truck does have an update in the PCM calibration available. Here is what I'm wondering. The available update has a 5U7A prefix, which tells me it will have the new P012F and P0234 DTCs along with the accompanying engine de-rate strategies added. Is this still so, even though this truck is equipped with a 2004 engine in it? Hotline says yes, but I'm unsure if the guy really knows.