Cat C15 fuel in coolant

Rate this topic

Buddy_M

OK, I just had a truck come in with fuel in the coolant. Of course this had to happen just a week after I put a water pump on this engine, so I believe they may be thinkin I did something to cause this. One driver did tell me this has been ran low on coolant several times while the water pump was out however.

I have never done sleeves in a cat engine before. This is a 6NZ engine, I pulled all 6 injectors out and 5 of the 6 injectors had severely damaged lower o-rings. I am planning on replacing all injector orings and all 6 sleeves to fix this issue. Is there anything else I should watch out for or anything different that is recommended to do if anyone else has experience in this department?

If you are doing this with the cylinder heads on the engine toss a dime and some grease to hold it in the bottom of the cups to prevent shavings from the removal tap getting into the cylinders.

What injectors are in this engine? Are they similar to a C7?

Keith, these are unit injectors in this engine. I have never been into a C7/C9 so I dont know what type they use. The injector sleeves in the C15/3406E engines are a stainless sleeve, that is threaded inside already for the removal/install tool to no chips to worry about. On the outside they are grooved for a double o-ring seal on the top, and the loctite 620 green sleeve retainer for the lower seal.

I just pulled all 6 sleeves and only found one that had both o-rings damaged in addition to the lower oring on the injector being damaged that was my source. Now just to start cleaning up the head and reassembly after lunch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is no matter what type of injector we are talking about. If it has a sleeve it's pretty much all the same as your picture shows. Keep debris out of the cylinder, prepare the sealing surfaces and use the installation tool with the recommended sealant. It's all the same... though I have never seen a sleeve with an o-ring! Hope it went well.

Fuel in the coolant is a fairly common issue on cat engines. It is very typical to put a set of sleeves in. The worst part of the whole job is flushing the cooling system afterwards. The original 3116 and 3176 engines had copper sleeves that required cutting threads, however the newer engines come with stainless sleeves with threads in them already. Pretty gravy job actually depending on the chassis its in.