Early 08 vs late 08 and beyond TQshift differences

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. Been quite some time since I have posted, but I am still around. As the title suggests is there any difference other than no external filter and the planetary upgrade? I am curious if one was to buy lines for a late 08 to eliminate the external filter on an early 08 if it would harm anything? Its hard in my opinion for a customer to spend $180 on an external filter that they went away with in later years. I know the internal filter numbers are different, but what else? I have always been wondering and never had a decent tranny guy to ask. Thanks in advance.

I have often wondered that myself. The price on those external steel can filters is just stupid. The difference is that the internal filter is thicker than the pick-up screen and probably requires a different oil pan.

I still wanna know why they just never used a spin on filter on the side of the trans.

I agree Keith what happened with the good ol toilet paper roll? That to me seemed to work just fine behind the 6.0 liter. Maybe I will have to do some more digging to try and get some particular specs and see what exactly we are dealing with.

I have gotten them from a transmission parts supplier. They were ATP which is a reputable brand for auto trans parts. I think they are $45 wholesale.

Ford needs to get a grip on some of this stuff. I keep having customers who know about the parts that are the same at an IH dealer being way less than Ford pricing. IH power supply half-shell FICM's being an example. A ton of 7.3 things are way cheaper and when you get the Ford ones it is an IH kit dropped in a Ford bag. For the big price difference they could at least open and discard the IH bags and print their own instruction inserts.....

Ford needs to get a grip on some of this stuff.

NO SHIT! I have lost work over the years because of parts pricing. Especially on service items like this for crying out loud. We have a Wal-Mart 1/4 mile from our store, we should probably sent one of our parts guys there once a week.

I keep having customers who know about the parts that are the same at an IH dealer being way less than Ford pricing.

I was once told this was to eleviate the ever escalating costs involved with 6.0L warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a TSB for cold weather failure that involves removal of the external filter, if I recall rightly.

Something changes in the pump too, again, IIRC.