2003 f350 lacks power in reverse only.

Rate this topic

My service manager presented this scenario to me. His buddy is trying to pull a boat out of a river, up a slight bank in reverse. The bank is loose dirt and mud. The truck wouldn't pull the boat up the incline and it wouldn't spin the tires either. In drive the truck has power to spare. Other that the slight difference in ratios between First 2.71:1 and reverse 2.18:1. I can't think of any reason this could happen. Other than the obvious angle the truck is on that could possibly affect fuel and oil flow. Anyone has any thoughts or experience with this?

who pulls a boat out in reverse and how is that even possible/necessary? Is there a detune strategy to keep anyone from trying to pull in reverse? I'm sure something like that could be programmed into the PCM to keep from destroying the transmission. The hitch is on the rear for a reason.

You would surprised how many trucks I see with hitch balls bolted to the front bumper. My guess is the first time they backed a boat in they went too far and decided they could see better if they drove in nose first. Not my choice for loading/unloading a boat, but each to their own I guess.

Tell your SM to have his buddy learn how to back the boat down the ramp, the incline will help putting in the water.

Pulling it out is just like driving away. Lots of power. Problem solved LOL.

How does the truck work power wise in reverse without the boat hooked to it?

Can you guys compare it to another truck?

Tell your SM to have his buddy learn how to back the boat down the ramp, the incline will help putting in the water.

Pulling it out is just like driving away. Lots of power. Problem solved LOL.

How does the truck work power wise in reverse without the boat hooked to it?

Can you guys compare it to another truck?

Not sure where the truck is actually, any river around here is frozen. B.C. or the states maybe. I think it was a phone in complaint.

The torque converter idea peaks my interest.