UPS no start

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have been here. I'm back with another 6.0 no start. This truck came in with a rough running complaint. I scanned it, found injector #1 failure. I have replaced a boat load of these in the past, and I haven't had any issues. When I took it apart, #1 wires on the high side of the injector were broken. I replaced all 8, and after way too much cranking, it didn't even try to start. I have 1300psi icp and no codes. After looking at it for a while, I went back to the beginning...replaced the fuel filter. It didn't look like there was a lot of fuel in it, so I cranked it with the filter out....no fuel! Ok, I took the feed line off the (Mechanical)pump, blew back to the tank..no problem found. I replaced the pump. I cranked it, until the batteries were dead. Replaced the batteries, cranked it again, still no start. I tried to look for sync, but our scanner won't show that. I can't even see IDM voltage. The CKP shows rpm...and I replaced the cmp sensor, just because. This was all on Friday. Today, I cranked it for a while again, now it tries to start. It runs for about 10 seconds, and sounds like it's on 2 cylinders. Could it still have air in it? Any thoughts? Now I have a migraine! P.S. Our special tools here, are vise grips and a hammer.

Well, Well, Well! I would never have guessed, That it would still have trapped air....but that was it! Right after my post, I went back to that truck, and decided to crank it one last time. Yep, it started! My only thoughts on this whole thing....it is the first time I have replaced the injectors, and fuel pump at the same time! So I had to get the air out of the HP oil, and also out of the fuel system, but Geez!...two days of cranking? I had primed the fuel filter, and bled it at the heads, which did nothing. Oh well...it runs like a champ now!

This thing has a mechanical fuel pump? Posted Image

In the past I have had issues with air locks after changing fuel filters on 6.0L engines. For me the "fix" has been to open the cap at the secondary filter which is followed by a pssssst sound. Reinstall the cap, cycle the key several times and the system fills and primes.

Although I have never wrenched on one of these, I'm going to assume the F-650 applications are identical to the vehicle application described as well.

Yes Mike, the 6 liters in the medium trucks were the International version though OASIS showed them branded a Power Stroke. I only had two come into my shop and neither required fuel system diagnosis. I am so familiar with the Ford version including the 4.5L both of which use an electric fuel pump that I made an automatic assumption. I shouldn't be surprised though as all medium duty engines use a mechanical pump. Even today in 2013 the Cummins ISB has a lift pump...

IH switched to an electric pump on the 2010+ DT series, a big mistake if you ask me. Bad design, lots of problems. (pump up front on the FF assy sucks instead of pushes, short pump life because of cavitation, strainer screen hard to get to, poor water drain setup, small screws that break off, and not a cheap pump) It should be a short lived design as it's slated for common rail this year or next.

Posted Image