po401

Rate this topic

11 model f-250 that sets po401 in memory, have performed pinpoint test w and az in workshop manual and every thing seems to pass according to test, but cleared this dtc at least 3 times and released only to see it back at later date. when running koer does not set p2457 so dont think that tsb 12-6-14 applies, but during pinpoint test w dont find any wire resistance,between pcm connector e and egr valve, no shrt to grnd or pwr on these wires, the bypass valve does not have any restriction in movement, and vacuum is good, and at w13 the temp change in egrt11 is from 277-188, map is from 50-32, which makes me believe every thing is operating correctly, was wondering what you guys are finding for this, or if you might have any tips to isolate? failed to mention egr valve component side is 4.7 ohms. I have to be missing something

In the bay, the cooler doesn't have to work hard to get EGT down. It's a differant story when the engine has been worked hard. I would pull the EGR valve and bypass off and have a peek at the cooler. I too have done a few coolers that don't set P2457, only P0401 in CMDTCs.

You made no mention of your MAF readings during testing. PPT W13 and PPT AZ11 states that if MAF increases more than 14 g/s then the EGR cooler will need to be inspected for restriction.

BUT, as in the past anything that can affect MAF needs to be checked as well... leaks in the intake, CAC, exhaust... keep that in mind. The last truck I had with this DTC was similar to this one. My MAF reading was 16 g/s. I needed more time to diagnose but the customer did not have the time. I cleared the DTC and released the vehicle. THis was about a month ago and it has not returned as of yet... so I have nothing more to add for now.

Thanks guys you are a beter help than hotline, they just suggest go back over pc/ed test w and az again, have looked at it a couple of times, and keith i will recheck maf readings but i suspect cooler as problem

Thanks guys you are a better help than hotline...

Part of my advice came from the HotLine and diagnosing the air management system as a whole makes sense but doing so is far easer to say than it is to do. I was told, among other things to fabricate block off plates out of soda cans to close off exhaust pipes and ports, smoke the intake... and so on. I tried this approach on a 6.4L once. I promised myself that I would never be caught jerking off like that in my bay again. I am not saying we shouldn't try to diagnose these things but it seems to always be that the harder I try, the longer it takes to test the more likely it is that I am not going to find anything. My point is that if you find yourself getting frustrated understand that you are not alone.

I'm just curious if there is going to be an actual fix for these things. There is no calibration update and no design improvements that I know of. A few weeks ago I did a truck that needed its second set of replacement coolers. It had 20k miles and the equivalent of about 60k

what is scary is that warranty paid for it without batting an eye

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
fabricate block off plates out of soda cans

Seriously?

That's even better advice that the advice in my signature on here!

WOW.

Just in case anybody doesen't understand that, the idea is to use tin snips and cut out block offs that match the metal gaskets at the pipe connections.

I got the spirit of the idea...

Just the execution/instruction could be a little better, IMO.

"...using 22ga or thinner sheet metal..."

sounds a little better than

"...grab a Coke can and an RC Cola can..."

what is scary is that warranty paid for it without batting an eye

What is scary is that we just had a claim for the EGR cooler replacement TSB paid at 0 because we neglected to put in our comments that P2457 was retrieved during KOER. And yes the cooler was plugged, and yes it did fix the concern.

I think the assessor is pissed because he asked for copys of the diesel diag sheets, which don't exist for a 6.7, and I told him that.

I think the assessor is pissed because he asked for copys of the diesel diag sheets, which don't exist for a 6.7, and I told him that.

Fucking assessors have me in their sights right now. I can't change a light bulb without jumping through hoops.

Has anyone had to replace the right side exhaust manifold during this repair because of broken exhaust bolts? Tried to drill them out with no luck.

We have a guy we call in to remove them. Sometimes he gets them out... Sometimes he drills them out and puts in a helicoil.

Originally Posted By: Mikill
Has anyone had to replace the right side exhaust manifold during this repair because of broken exhaust bolts? Tried to drill them out with no luck.

We have a guy we call in to remove them. Sometimes he gets them out... Sometimes he drills them out and puts in a helicoil.

Honest question, how do you feel about that?

Honest question, how do you feel about that?

I have no problems with it. He does a good job. He has some plastic plugs he puts in the exhaust manifold port to keep filings out. Cleans everything up well. It's only a 6mm bolt that torques down to... shit, I don't remember... about 8 lb/ft? We've had no issues. 2 of the trucks he's helicoiled we see on a regular basis... No leaks.

Cool, Was just curious.

Have seen a couple self proclaimed 'bolt guys' fuck up helicoils... BAD.

No. This guy is good. Very good. Expensive, though. Very expensive. We have 2 guys we use... One that we use for very straight forward bolts with with relatively easy access ($85 for the service call and the first bolt, and $15 for each additional bolt). Then this guy I'm talking about, who will remove a bolt from a 6.4 turbo with the turbo and cab in place, he can take broken 6.4 manifold bolts out with the manifold still installed, and perform many, many other miracles (at $250 for the service call, plus $90 per hour he's there).