LCF and CF Comparison

Rate this topic

Okay, let's get the ford and the International guys to mingle a little.

I thought that there were going to be some significant differences between the two trucks but the closer I look the more they look alike. Is the International CF's cab the same Mazda cab design and build? Is the CF's engine a Power Stroke or a VT 275? What's the difference? Is it the same engine with different paint? I was also surprised to read that the International uses the Ford Torqshift as well. When I went for the training the engineer had no clue what international was going to offer. Different paint color options and pretty painted engine?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Just kidding Bruce. It's a fine truck no matter what badge it wears. And a note to you International techs, if you need any help with the transmission, just ask us!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you what, after driving LCF's around a little I actually found that the twin turbo set-up is very smooth. The engine winds up fairly quick and strong all through the RPM range. I was still looking for that VGT kick and the extra RPM's of the 6.0L but I reminded myself that this was a different animal. I think that a twin turbo set-up like this on the 6.4L shouldn't disappoint. I have pic's if anybody is interested. (of the twins, not the 6.4)

I also had to replace a seized A/C compressor on one of our new units. They are arriving from a body company (Unicell) I think in Indiana so they already have almost 800 miles on them. This is an easy engine to work on due to it's smaller size and the LCF chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, let's get the ford and the International guys to mingle a little.

Just kidding Bruce. It's a fine truck no matter what badge it wears. And a note to you International techs, if you need any help with the transmission, just ask us!

Kinda like mixing water and oil, no?

That's for sure, the IH guys won't have a clue about these. I'm sure it'll be quite a learning curve for them to do internal repairs. At this time there have been no CF failures at my local dealer, because they've only received a few of the trucks. I think the only one on the road is their parts dept. delivery truck (new CF).

I did some recordings the other day and was surprised to see the twin turbo only deliver 21psi of boost.

To me it drives just like an Isuzu NPR or a Mitsu Fuso- little short WB cabover with that "cabover ride". It has more power than an NPR or Fuso, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen any Ford versions around. The Int'l version has little in common with any previous Int'l. Seems to have more Ford engineering and design than Int'l. Hope the electrical system is good. As the wiring diagrams are aweful.

Last I heard we had a max warranty time for trans repair at about 3 hours. We have 2 boxes of torqshift tools and no hands on training. I have not seen any paper manuals for it, possibly it is online. Glad I am hourly.

• 4 months later...
Quote:
International techs, if you need any help with the transmission, just ask us!
The International Techs are not allowed to do anything to the trans other than to change the filter and R & R it. Ford techs on the other hand can do anything they need to.

• 2 years later...

The LCF and CF are exactly the same, both are assembled in Escobedo Nuevo Leon Mexico. Both use the Ford transmission torqshift 5R110W. The engine is the International VT275. The only difference is the front grill.

I think it is required because it is the only course that covers anything on the LCF specific to it, most importantly, the engine. While we casually state it is a 6.0L with two cylinders lopped off it has some significant and very important design features that you must be aware of if you are going to make any base engine repairs. I recall the course was not all that bad. It was nicely paced and covered the vehicle fairly throughly building upon what you already know... the 6.0L and the Torqshift transmission. Some guys greatly benefit from the introduction to the Navistar powertrain control system, using MD Truck, NETS and Master Diagnostics.

I've been working on these things for a few years now. So, I'm pretty up on it... what I am looking forward to is a bit of training on MD Truck, which I would refer to myself as "self-taught" up to now.

• 11 months later...

Quote:
International techs, if you need any help with the transmission, just ask us!

The International Techs are not allowed to do anything to the trans other than to change the filter and R & R it. Ford techs on the other hand can do anything they need to.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we just had a couple CFs in, and since weve sold so few, and work on ever fewer, I thought Id browse around and see if I could pick up any info.

Id just like to point out that this statement is incorrect. I just finished up an overhaul and in the next bay to me for a few days our trans tech had a CF trans torn apart, taking all sorts of readings for Int'l. He found a few bad solenoids in the valve body, or something along those lines.

I think it was the first time anyone broke out our CF trans service tool kits.

I just did a trans on a CF also. Found several drun seals to be leaking. The cause was improoper wiring of the PTO. The clutch pack needs to be engaged with the pto engaged or else you will have slippage of that clutch pack. Dropped the pan and valve body, installed the leak check plates and shot air into the ports. The converter nuts were a pain to R&R, and the damn truck is just to low to the ground. We don't have any lifts.

The converter nuts were a pain to R&R, and the damn truck is just to low to the ground. We don't have any lifts.

I know. Theyre cake for Ford guys, but I just see them as a pain in the ass. All small cabovers are a pain in the ass. Wait, lets just make that ALL cabovers are a pain in the ass.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did a Trans in a CF. Removed the engine oil pan and the converter nuts were easily accessible.

The converter nuts are easy to get to with a mid dip socket and a swivel ratchet.You do not have to pull the pan off.That socket is slightly shorter than the standard dip socket.I bought one from Canadian tire(chrome)I hate the way they designed the right valve cover because the rear cab mount is on the way.Otherwise the LCF/CF fear cold weather.