cab on engine out

Rate this topic

Here is just a couple of quick photos I took of the 64 with cab on. I can't get them into the DTS at the moment so I am importing them from Photobucket and I will move them permanently later.

64complete_zpsaf059f8b.jpg

The chain is bolted down with the 2 large turbo pedestal bolts.

64complete2_zps558fc1d9.jpg

This thing comes out easier than a 6.0L, it doesn't even touch the firewall insulation!

64complete3_zps912473bd.jpg

64complete4_zps2be6f10d.jpg

I've got this cab lifted with 2x4's so it's only up about 3 1/2 inches. My pan is dragging a bit on the number 1 cross member. I put a piece of cardboard down on the way back in.

64complete5_zpsfb22846c.jpg

Dunnage tops make an awesome temporary work bench!

workbench_zpse41d733e.jpg

Somebody order up a cooling stack?

workbench_zpse41d733e.jpg

64coolingmodule_zps102c8117.jpg

Me and another guy lifted it out. This is the way Ford originally designed it to be removed way back in the day. I didn't need to replace anything, just needed the mess out of the way. It's actually not that heavy with 1 person on each side.

I want to reiterate that this would not have been an idea for me if I hadn't spoke with Leon. I was having a major brain fart on how to hook the chain up. He set me straight and it was easy peasy after that.

It makes total sense to center the chain in the motor and I can't believe I was having trouble coming up with the idea. This is how I used to pick 7.3's out of E boxes, it is how we lift 6.7's now, ect.

I want to reiterate that this would not have been an idea for me if I hadn't spoke with Leon. I was having a major brain fart on how to hook the chain up. He set me straight and it was easy peasy after that.

It makes total sense to center the chain in the motor and I can't believe I was having trouble coming up with the idea. This is how I used to pick 7.3's out of E boxes, it is how we lift 6.7's now, ect.

There have been others posting this technique, one guy pulls them with the fan and diffuser still attached. I can't take all the credit.

Originally Posted By: Mutter
How would you do that. Lift up and remove the oil pan?

Nope engine stays together. It rolls out if you know what I mean

That's fine coming out if the pan is protected. Putting it back in that way is another story. It would be quicker to pull 6 cab bolts than to force the engine to tilt that far forward before sliding it back in. IMO

All you need is an inch behind and about 2 inches above the cab, and it will lift the 4 inches in the front needed to slide the engine out.

All you need is an inch behind and about 2 inches above the cab, and it will lift the 4 inches in the front needed to slide the engine out.

I would definitely lift the cab a few inches to help clear but the only one that I did the rack was sitting on the roof. Either way if youre careful then there shouldn't be any oil pan damage.

• 1 month later...

Now I am wavering on the whole "Leave the cab on idea." The last 2 cab lifts I have done were flawless. Both for short blocks, because I don't use the engine stand for anything but bed plates now, with the floor slope of our new shop it is a PITA to torque heads without the stand rolling away on me, so I do all the disassembly and assembly in chassis now. I guess it will all come down to whether or not I can actually lift the cab.

I don't use the engine stand for anything but bed plates now, with the floor slope of our new shop it is a PITA to torque heads without the stand rolling away on me

That would make a funny Benny Hill skit. I could just picture some tech running down a hilly street chasing an engine on a stand with torque wrench in hand.