6.0 with major turbo lag

Rate this topic

Here's the story. I've inheirited a 2007 F-250 from a local garage. They replaced the heads and installed studs and replaced the EGR cooler and turbo. The tech started coming by a few weeks ago with issues he was having, particularily with constantly plugging up the IPR. I suggested to him to make sure it had an OEM oil filter (which it didn't) and to replace the oil cooler screen and clean the passage to the HPOP (he did not change the oil cooler initially). Now, the issues with the IPR have been addressed, but this thing has a terrible turbo lag. I've tested everything I possibly can. ICP and ICP desired are on track. IPR at hot idle is under 25%. Fuel pressure is 55 psi. I've dropped the exhaust and checked the EGR. It will make 25 psi of boost, but it takes a long time. The only concern that I think I've found is the LOAD PID is a little high at hot idle at 37%. Hotline said that a LOAD PID above 30% suggests the injector tips may have been damaged when the work was being done. Does that sound plausible? I've exhasuted my knowledge on this one, and am calling on the brilliant minds here!

I have had one previously that was similar in concern. One of the guys in the shop did gaskets and the coolers on an F350, then complained it was slow to make power. I ended up replacing the injectors to remedy the problem. This truck had quite a few miles on it, and maitenance history was less than desirable. Thinking that all the coolant entering the cylinders contributed to a pre existing condition, as we couldn't drive it when it came in. Customer later stated that it had been sluggish but he thought it was due to it needing work' he had been adding coolant to it for a while. Have you checked for a partially plugged MAP hose as well ?

Yeah. I took the fitting out and checked the intake port. I asked him if he removed the injectors before he took the heads off... He said no. So, perhaps the injector tips hit the deck of the block, or the bench...

This truck has all the things I hate. Aftermarket filters, aftermarket rebuilt turbo, aftermarket head-gasket/stud kit, K&N turbo wrecker. Broken everything. Injector harness siliconed to to the injectors. FICM connectors broken-mind you, they made up an ingenious bracket to hold the connectors in... He was quite proud of it, and all the effort he put into it... When I told him how inexpensive FICM harnesses are, his jaw dropped!

Years ago, one of our techs, who is now service manager, did head gaskets on a 6.0. He thought the injector tips looked dirty, so he "cleaned" them. After that the truck was slow to build power. 4 new injectors partially cured the issue, then the other 4 cured it. This was after replacing the turbo twice and various other attempted fixes.

Years ago, one of our techs, who is now service manager, did head gaskets on a 6.0. He thought the injector tips looked dirty, so he "cleaned" them. After that the truck was slow to build power.

I asked if they took a wire wheel to the injector tips, to which I got a mumbled response that I think was supposed to be a denial... But I think they may have.

Originally Posted By: BrunoWilimek
Years ago, one of our techs, who is now service manager, did head gaskets on a 6.0. He thought the injector tips looked dirty, so he "cleaned" them. After that the truck was slow to build power.

I asked if they took a wire wheel to the injector tips, to which I got a mumbled response that I think was supposed to be a denial... But I think they may have.

Yeah, probably wire wheeled them while wire wheeling the head gasget surface.

Ive seen guys leave the injectors in the heads as they swore up and down it was faster to just leave them in then to remove them. Really it takes no more time to remove the injectors and store them away from the action to ensure they are protected from debris then to leave them in.....

6.0 injectors are cake to reseal, I've never left them in before. It's not worth the risk. I have left the glowplugs in but only as a last resort. It's always a good idea to take a hard look at the tips when you're done, you can tell pretty easily if one accidentally got hit.

Also, back on topic. You mentioned aftermarket turbo, is it a non-VGT turbo? If so those things typically have a ton of lag. The 6.0 doesn't have enough displacement to get a big turbo moving quickly

Also, back on topic. You mentioned aftermarket turbo, is it a non-VGT turbo?

It's a rebuilt factory turbo. They build them at the location. He says he sells lots of them with no issues. He's put 3 on this truck. I did run a VGT test, and the results were a little off compared to the "good turbo" example on the VVT test help page. I suggested the the cam gear was possibly not installed correctly, but he shrugged that off.

I left it with the fact that I could do no further diagnosis on the truck without starting to take stuff apart, and recheck his work.

He's been on it for 2 months. From what I can see, this truck used to frequent a local dealership, but for some reason they decided to take it elsewhere, and let a guy that has never done 6.0 headgaskets before to learn on their truck.