1995 lincoln continental no start at times

Rate this topic

Anyone remember the tsb for these engines where they were flooding and not starting at times? The problem is very infrequent and I have only made it do it once had to put in clear-flood mode to get it to start. Fuel pressure was in spec when tested during concern Any ideas?

TSB96-3-11 NO START/HARD START - AT TEMPERATURES BELOW 16 DEGREES C (60 DEGREES F) - SPARK PLUG FOULINGSURGE - BETWEEN 56-68 KM/H (35-42 MPH) ON A FLAT OR SLIGHTLY INCLINED ROAD USING A LIGHT STEADY THROTTLEPublication Date: JANUARY 29, 1996LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1995 CONTINENTALCALIBRATION:5-38D-R05, 5-38D-R10WARNING: THIS MODIFICATION IS AUTHORIZED ONLY FOR THE LISTED ENGINE. PERFORMING THIS MODIFICATION ON OTHER ENGINE CALIBRATIONS IS UNAUTHORIZED AND COULD CREATE LIABILITY UNDER APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR LOCAL LAWS.ISSUE:A no start/hard start condition at temperatures below 16°C (60°F), and/or a surge between 56-68 km/h (35-42 mph) on a flat or slightly inclined road, using a light steady throttle, may occur on some vehicles. This may be due to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) programming giving extra fuel during cranking causing the spark plugs to foul, and/or the torque converter clutch not having the appropriate engagement calibration.ACTION:Reprogram or replace the PCM. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.NOTE: DEALERS WITH SBDS ARE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN REGIONAL APPROVAL WHEN IT IS NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE PCM.SERVICE PROCEDUREVerify the concern. Perform normal diagnostic routines and service as required.If no other concerns are found after performing normal diagnostics or the concern still exists after service has been performed, reprogram or replace the PCM. Dealers with Service Bay Diagnostic System (SBDS), reprogram the PCM with the appropriate calibration per the attached calibration chart using the latest calibration update CD-ROM. If SBDS is not available, replace the PCM using the correct PCM from the Application Chart in this article.Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal and list the date, dealer number, and summary of alterations performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.APPLICATION CHARTApplication Old Calibration Old PCM Number New Calibration New PCM NumberContinental 4.6L (49 States) 5-38D-R05 F5OF-12A650-AB 5-38D-R10 F5PZ-12A650-HAContinental 4.6L (49 States) 5-38D-R10 F5OF-12A650-AC 5-38D-R10 F5PZ-12A650-HAPART NUMBER PART NAMEF5PZ-12A650-HA Powertrain Control Module (PCM)OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:NONEWARRANTY STATUS:Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty CoverageOPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME960311A Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 0.2 Hr.960311B Replace Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 0.3 Hr.DEALER CODINGBASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODERECAL 08OASIS CODES:602300, 603300, 608000, 608400, 612000, 612600

I certainly hope it isn't running a 17 year old calibration! If that TSB doesn't address the issue, I'd maybe, possibly, poentially consider having a poke around the IAC.

In what looking around I managed, I recall a TSB referrung to the IAC.

My spider-sense, however, makes me want to look at 20 some year old TSBs with some skepticism as well. Having said that, my first thought would be to hit the easy stuff first.

• 3 weeks later...