3 minute key off wait time after parameter reset.

Rate this topic

Has anyone read about this anywhere. Hotline informed me of this just today after getting approval for an SCR replacement. It seems the modules need to be powered down for 3 minutes in order to properly reset.

I've never heard that, but I have been told to run a refill activation, followed by a few dosing measurement tests (without removing the injector) to prime the system after working on it. The refill activation does a 3 minute power down.

Makes sense. You must remember that many modules now no longer shut off when the key is turned off. It's more like your PC... you tell it to shut down and it does it's own shut down sequence and then turns off. There is a term for it, just can't remember what it is right now.

+1. To borrow another marques bygone catch-phrase "This is not your fathers Oldsmobile". The whole landscape as far as state of the art is concerned is nearly off the scale.

Self drive Google cars, talking cars that listen to you - when I was a kid, even Buck Rogers didn't have this.

Computer Controlled Shutdown

The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the PCM power relay when the ignition is turned to the ON or START position, by grounding the PCM relay control (PCMRC) circuit. After the ignition is turned to the OFF, ACC or LOCK position, the PCM stays powered up until the correct engine shutdown occurs.

The ignition switch position run (ISP-R) circuit provides the ignition state input to the PCM. Based on the ISP-R signal the PCM determines when to power down the PCM power relay.

The PCM software monitors the parameters for the controlled systems to make sure that all values have met a threshold for shutdown.

My truck will pull mileage on the IDS during attempted identification/network test without having the key on, just to attest to the "modules stay on with the key off" fact.

You'll also notice that engineering and warranty audit together have decided to make this three minutes, because if it was 6 or more, you'd need an extra .1 Posted Image

You'll also notice that engineering and warranty audit together have decided to make this three minutes, because if it was 6 or more, you'd need an extra .1 Posted Image

That extra .1 adds up when you factor in how many of these modules we have to reset in a week. Posted Image