P1272 that won't go away.

Rate this topic

I have 1997 E-350 that came in with a complaint of a Check Engine light on. IDS tested it and retrieved a hard P1272 Cylinder #2 high to low side open DTC. This vehicle definitely feels like it has a dead miss. Cylinder contribution test flags P0266 and P0275 cylinders #2 and #5 contribution low. Here's the kicker. I got as far as pulling the driver side valve cover off. Did an injector buzz test, with weak buzzes from cylinders #2 and #5, but only flags P1272. Swapped UVC harnesses around on the same bank and still the same result. Plugged in a new injector without buzzing again during the self-test. Swapped in a new IDM and still P1272. Checked circuit #556 (white) between C1157 (IDM connector) and C1002 (driver side valve cover front connector) with good ohm readings. Is there any possibility the PCM could be bad? I can't talk to Hotline due to the vehicle age, and OASIS won't give me a nine digit contact ID to get through.

Did you clear CMDTCs before your retests?

Only on the KOEO on-demand screen. The KOEO Injector Buzz screen doesn't give you the option to clear DTCs.

I have had one very similar. The PCM fixed it. I verified it by swapping a known good one after doing diag like you did.

I think the aftermarket had them and the were cheap too.

On the PTS web sight if you go under the Tech Hotline tab and click on "Hotline Assistance Request Form" you will be able to contact the hotline for vehicles older than 10 years old.

It's hard to clear injector codes on 7.3's even after you have made the repair. I've had to clear CMDTC and KOEO self test codes even if no codes show up before the injector electrical test will pass.

Changing the wiring pigtail to to bank #2 for cylinders #2 and #4 injectors and glow plugs and cylinder #5 injector fixed this one.