Diesel powered passenger cars

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

Wow, that article is 2 years old as I write this. Didn't we go through this with the Fiesta when that diesel car never made it to North American shores? I am sure there are a lot of aspects of producing a diesel powered car but I would bet that Ford has determined that there is no market for them here... made worse by the added cost of the emissions system that adds significantly to the selling price compared to the gasoline powered models. Ever wonder why you don't see too many hybrids on the road or much less all electric cars? Look at the price tag.

Here in the USA:

[*] A base Focus starts at $16,200. An ELECTRIC Focus starts at $39,200.

[*] A base Fusion starts at $21,900, jumps to $27,200 for a hybrid and soars to $40,100 for a Fusion Energi Titanium.

But as for Ford keeping up with the Jones' you just might be right.

In all honesty, I have to say that my estimation of "old technology" diesels leaves me cold when I compare them to the complex engines we work on today.

Perhaps we should return to chokes? Posted Image

In all honesty, I have to say that my estimation of "old technology" diesels leaves me cold when I compare them to the complex engines we work on today.

Old technology runs on distillate. Or better yet, starts on gas and switches to diesel. Any you could get a 2.0l diesel with an EGR valve, how much more modern do you want?

Is this thread hijacked yet?

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman

Old technology runs on distillate. Or better yet, starts on gas and switches to diesel. Any you could get a 2.0l diesel with an EGR valve, how much more modern do you want?

Is this thread hijacked yet?

YUP! Posted Image

Dave, you should know me by now.... even with this pesky little problem I got going on, I'm still looking for modern enough for the cleanest air my grandson can get. Posted Image

If some is good and more is better - too much oughta be just about enough.

This thread was designed to be hijacked....

I have been to Europe a couple of times, and it is amazing that with all of the diesels running around you never see or smell smoke, you barely notice them running, they are that refined. Commercial trucks are the same way, all with big exhaust treatment systems under the cab and low exhausts. Commercial trucks are also limited to 80 km/h, and must travel in the right lane (on the continent) unless overtaking. These is no idling when parked, period. In France commercial truck traffic is prohibited on Sundays, unless hauling perishable goods. These laws are there for a reason, and are adhered to. Low speed limits and restrictions on idling may seem draconian to us, but they seem to get along just fine. The reduction of emissions simply from the reduced fuel consumption must be substantial.

I guess my point to this ramble is if we want to see more diesel powered options, perhaps we should stop advertising our arrogance by blowing clouds of black smoke at every opportunity and letting our vehicles spew cold diesel stink in the coffee shop parking lot.