P0401, P1249

Rate this topic

HAS ANYONE HAD A P0401 IN MEMORY WITH A P1249 KOER, ALSO CUSTOMER STATES CLEANING EXH MESS IS ON ALL THE TIME. I CONTACTED HOTLINE AND SAID AN INTAKE OR EXH LEAK CAN CAUSE BOTH. I PLUGGED EXH, INTAKE SMOKE TESTED AT 20 PSI. AND FOUND NO LEAKS. I KNOW THERE IS A TSB FOR EGR REPLACEMENT SO I DON'T WANT TO WAISTE A LOT OF TIME TO FIND OUT IT IS COOLER CAUSING PROBLEM.

You could have 3 problems there. I would address the regen issue first. If you can post some mileage and hour readings we may be able to scrounge up some more info.

Take a look at the topic titled "P0401" in this 6.7L Forum.

I personally have seem a few and none fit the criteria for cooler replacement as per the TSB... nor have continued diagnostics ever turned anything up. On every one now I ended up pulling the EGR coolers and guess what? PLUGGED!

So, the "be all and the end all" (as the Ford School teacher said) of putting the EGR valve on the hot exhaust side to keep the valves from coking up, worked.

Just clogs the cooler shut cause it's the cold side now LOL.

I can't help myself from laughing every time I see that damn avatar picture of yours, Alex.

Just clogs the cooler shut cause it's the cold side now LOL.

Wow! Posted Image I never realized that until you mentioned it although the EGR cooler inlet is technically still on the hot side. The 6.4L with the EGR DOC seemed to have carbon under control for the most part. Think about it. How many carbon related EGR problems have you seen on 6.4's? ZERO for me and my shop... how about you?

Now the big question is how big of an issue is this going to be?

Here is what the WSM has to say about EDOC on the 6.4L: The EGR-OC pipe transports exhaust gases to the EGR coolers. The EGR-OC pipe contains a honeycomb filter with a catalyst. The catalyst keeps the EGR coolers clean by removing heavy chain hydrocarbons or soluble organic fraction from the exhaust gas stream.

I also believe the regen process cleans it out as well.

So with that said, putting one of these in the EGR supply tube of the 6.7L will work fine until it gets clogged because the right bank is not used for regen fuel supply.

I can't help myself from laughing every time I see that damn avatar picture of yours, Alex.

:rockon:

It's even funnier if you have watched the videos.

:rockon:

It's even funnier if you have watched the videos.

I watched a few of em, I usually can't make it past the first few minutes.My favorite part is when he starts going on about his proprietary head gasket coating, or how awesome the Edge tuning is. 

The best part was his RANT about sub-standard service on his 7.3L that his wife was driving. He gets up close and personal with the camera and gets all "THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF". Too funny.

I like the fact that in the "rant video", the tech that worked on his wife's truck managed to do make EVERY possible mistake that you can make doing that job. Maybe he was just trying to justify doing all those things himself at one time or another...

FINALLY EIGHT DAYS LATER GOT MY EGR COOLER KIT. I REMOVED EGR COOLER AND IT WAS PLUGGED. AFTER REPLACING COOLER TEST DROVE AND REGEN DID NOT COME ON. ALSO BOTH CODES WERE GONE.