Repeat Spun Rod Bearing on V10

Rate this topic

mchan68

I have an '11 E-350 V10 gasser here that I short blocked about a year ago at 24,000 kms. with five out of ten cylinders with spun rod bearings. It's now back at 48,000 kms. with a spun cylinder #2 only rod bearing. The rest of the nine cylinders' rod bearings are undamaged. This engine looks otherwise clean inside and out. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent yet another issue inside the engine another 24,000 kms. later? I really don't feel like RE & REing the engine in this thing for warranty times being it's an E-Series.

Now, now... E-Series gas engines are a breeze to remove. I think the new V-8s and V-10s are junk. We have a few 5.4 Econolines running around that have had multiple engine replacements. No V-10s, mind you, but there are enough similarities.

How many oil changes has it had in the last 24K?

We went through a period of 2009-2011 engines in trucks/vans that were all knocking. All of them either had very low oil or went op to 40,000 without an oil change. I recall mt FSE stating Ford suspected PCV valves were responsible but I don't think anything was ever officially said about it or materialized. There is an SSM out there advising you to be sure to install a PCV valve in long block assemblies as one might not be there... or something to that affect.

I thought I saw a ssm or tsb for valve seals and oil consumtion .if no one checks oil between services could be running low on oil.most of the ones we been seeing are serviced right before there dropped off with a knock.