Interesting Early '03/'04 HPOP 'Repair'

Rate this topic

Well guys, I have to give this guy some credit where credit is due. At least he not only managed to repair his '03 HPOP, but probably even increased its reliability and service life a little, with the mod. Read on:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/48791-Update-Ford-6-0-hpop-fix

Hope you don't mind Mike - I had to edit your post cause the link did not work...

Anyway. Nice share. I have seen a couple pumps do that as I usually take them apart to see if there was anything visibly wrong. Sometimes the inner rotating drum cracks or splits too. The guy is right though, that piece really has no locking mechanism to prevent it from rotating. Ironically the guy installed multiple locking pins which is overkill. I think one pin is more than sufficient.

My point in posting this thread is to suggest that on all the early HPOPs that get returned for core credit could/should have this or similar "upgrade" during the rebuild process to prevent a future such failure after resale.

I've plugged a few of those passages at the customer's request, especially when it's been a previous failure.

Use a bottoming tap, thread the hole down to the plug, and thread a pipe plug into it with red loctite.