No start with EGR cooler leak.

Rate this topic

2005 F350 towed in for no start and possible head gaskets. Original diagnosis is done in parking lot.  Cranks, sounds like low fuel pressure knock or late timing with lots of greyish smoke. New FICM, new batteries, ok'ish fuel pressure(getting new regulator). diagnosed combustion gasses in fuel isolated to left bank. Got the ok to get it running then continue with coolant loss. Towed into bay and threw the coolant filler on it, EGR cooler leaks, down pipe off turbo full of coolant. (which is weird because the tail pipes are dry). 

Could there be any connection between the two? Never had one come in like this before. Can't think of any reason why a leaking EGR cooler would cause injector failure. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Can't think of any reason why a leaking EGR cooler would cause injector failure. Any thoughts?

At one time I thought we were beginning to think that some EGR cooler failures that allowed coolant to get into the engine oil were responsible for killing injectors.

I was also told that blown egr coolers are killing injectors although in my fleet there is a ton of reasons why we do a ton of injectors. If you are getting combustion gas in the cooling system, is it also mixing fuel into it aswell? I've never had a 6.0 need a injector sleeve yet, did plenty of 7.3s tho

I've never had a 6.0 need a injector sleeve yet, did plenty of 7.3s

With the difference it head/cup design between the 2 engines, they won't have the same issues with cracked cups... Check this thread  http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/index.php/topic/1307-fuel-in-coolant-revisited/?hl=sleeve&do=findComment&comment=10127

I might be overthinking this one. Talked to customer. He bought the truck at the auction 2 weeks ago, the truck is in really nice shape, very clean inside and out. Said it was running good, but did notice minor smoke at times. Then out of the blue it would not start. Then it comes to us. Some coolant residue in PCV hose and under left valve cover, seen this before but never had a no start because of it. Wondering if the two are just coincidental. Going to remove the left injectors and see how they look. The bubbles from the bubble test were not the worst I have seen when seals go really bad, I don't except to see anything obvious though. The customer is okay with my reasoning for replacing all 4 on left bank. He did say he is concerned that after the repair the 2 banks will be uneven, maybe I can get 4 more out of him for the right side later. Just thinking out loud in this one. Something in the back of my head says I am missing something.

Methinks once you pull the left bank of injectors, the cause of your no-start issue will be very obvious by what you describe (one or two injector(s) with blown lower o-ring(s) and blackened). Not that I am too familiar with diagnosing these things.

2 of the 4 injectors show signs of leakage, but not overly bad, slight blackening and the orings are not eaten away. More so just poor sealing than anything else. I removed the upper hose to get at the regulator and found what I thought was an oil/coolant mix, but upon closer inspection it looks like stop leak. That would explain the minor smoking after he bought the truck. Regardless, it needs injectors and EGR/oil coolers. Possibly the other 4 after.

After taking out the oil cooler, I was able to stick a 6" long 3/8 extension in the coolant inlet side and it stood up. Kind of like a Dairy Queen Blizzard in there. 

New hypothesis on the injector failure. Driving the truck for 2 weeks with the oil most likely running at over 250F cooked the injectors.