Mandatory Training!

Rate this topic

Originally posted by gasgasman:

[qb]

The one that really sticks in my mind is the tech that Ford watched perform a 6.0L R&I and he did it in 11+ hours, if I recall correctly. It takes me a full day just to get the engine out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Well Doc,I need to stay quiet here,I guess.....lol I just finished my 32 6.0 engine r&r and don't want to get beat up on my times.

I do hate the fact that I can do an r&r with my eyes closed,though

Quote:
Originally posted by Cetane:

...its going to be fun!

I hope I'm not being paranoid but my Factory Rep was in last week and said that the new diesel is delayed because of problems, and I quote: "It's no better than the one we have now."

I really want to believe that Ford is making an effort to ensure that this is not the case. He even said that when International had handed us the 6.0L it was a good engine before the Ford engineers gotten their hands on it. I've heard that exact statement before several times but I am not really sure what it means. What did Ford DO to the engine? (beside crank up the horse power and the RPM's) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm feeling a little bit queasy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

I believe it was enough to crank up the power,but consider the cylinder pressures and boost pressures and the fact that the 6.0 has 10 head bolts and the 7.3 has 17,which are not torque to yield......can't turn a extremely light duty diesel into a race engine without problems,I believe

I love the Canadian message board (we don't get to share, guys)... I've used verboten terms a few times, I guess... I've had more than one post taken to "review" by the "Fordthink" bot. Our usual tech instructor reads the boards every day but wont really admit to it... He tells me all I have to do is reply to a thread and it usually dies quickly...

Jim dont you know it's not politically correct to speak your mind, say what you are thinking or be honest about the reality of the situation we have all been in? You can hear it in the voices of the HotLine engineers and the Reps at the dealers but I am sure Ford puts the smack down on anyone of their employees being openly truthful. I no longer use the Ford message boards. Personally I think Ford should be reading this site and others. They really need to start listening to what techs and customers are saying. I mean REALLY listen!!! Look at this Spin to win contest. How long did it take them to reward the diesel guys for thier pain? What are they doing for their 6.0L customers that got screwed?

• 4 months later...

bumping this thread. posted this week, web based class should be availible 12-15-06 which is needed to attend the 3 day hands beginning a few weeks later. techs have to complete the web class by march 31st 2007 or have diesel certification expired. also must complete the hands on by the end of 2007 or also lose diesel certification

I have this terrible problem, Ed... I open my mouth and whatever it is I'm thinking at the time "falls out"....

Some people hate that.... a very few like it and most would rather I just shut up and go away /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

For the message boards, some of my most innocent posts get yanked and some of my stinkers remain.... go figure. I once even got an "attaboy" from a previous message board moderator for a post a lot of techs didn't appreciate....

bumping this thread. posted this week, web based class should be available 12-15-06 which is needed to attend the 3 day hands beginning a few weeks later. techs have to complete the web class by march 31st 2007 or have diesel certification expired. also must complete the hands on by the end of 2007 or also lose diesel certification

Thanks for posting this and giving us a heads-up. Can we verify this anywhere? I am hoping to get my ass trained on this sucker as quickly as possible.

Same here.... I have three techs to get into the classroom course (including me) and I'd hate to find out about this prerequisite too late...

There's a lot of money in our town and it sounds like there is a healthy number of guys lining up for these new trucks...

My next door neighbour bought a Harley Davidson diesel... uses it for work (oilpatch electrician).. has to clean his driveway at least once a week with a scoop shovel - and he's just the tip of the iceberg....

I caught this today. It's not the entire letter so go to FMC Dealer to read it all.The rest is course information dates and so forth.

Quote:

October 27, 2006

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealership Principals, Service Managers and Technicians

Subject: 2008 Super Duty Truck and 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel Technical Training Launch

NEW STST DIESEL ENGINE PERFORMANCE CURRICULUM SPECIALTY 51 COURSES – REQUIRED TRAINING

The Service Technician Specialty Training (STST) Diesel Engine Performance curriculum Specialty 51 has been revised to incorporate new technology and repair procedures for the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel engine. Changes to the curriculum consist of one new web-based training course and one new 3-day classroom course. New courses are:

• 6.4L Diesel Engine Theory and Operation Web Based Course (51S10W0)
  • 6.4L Diesel Engine Diagnosis and Repair Classroom Course (51S11T0)
NOTE: Web-based course, 51S10W0, completion is required before attending the classroom course, 51S11T0.

NEW 2008 F-SERIES SUPER DUTY TRAINING – RECOMMENDED TRAINING

In addition, a 2008 Super Duty New Model web-based course has been developed to cover new technology and repair procedures throughout the vehicle. This course includes detailed procedures for removing the body to perform major engine service. The 2008 Super Duty New Model course is not a required part of the STST Specialty 51 curriculum; however, it is highly recommended that technicians complete this training:

• 2008 Super Duty New Model Web Based Course (51N08W0)
Note: If your dealership has enrolled in the Continuing Enrollment program for Technical Training, your technicians will automatically receive access to all available web-based Training courses.

EFFECT ON SHOP COMPETENCY AND FULLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS

There is NO IMMEDIATE EFFECT on Currently Certified Technicians or Dealership Shop Competency. Fully trained Technicians:

• Will have 90 Days to complete the 6.4L Diesel Engine Theory and Operation Web Based Course (51S10W0) that will be available December 15, 2006. Technicians have until March 31, 2007 to complete this course.
  • Will have 12 months to complete the 6.4L Diesel Engine Diagnosis and Repair Classroom Course (51S11T0). The 12 month period begins December 31, 2006 and concludes December 31, 2007.
  • Must complete the new requirements by March 31, 2007 and December 31, 2007 respectively, or the Technician's Diesel Engine Performance certification status in STARS2 will change to "Expired" until the requirement is completed. Once a technician's status changes to expired in STARS2 any warranty repairs that require specialty 51 certification will no longer be paid.

OBTAINING/MAINTAINING DIESEL ENGINE PERFORMANCE TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

The new/revised STST Diesel Engine Performance curriculum must be taken to obtain certification in Diesel Engine Performance if you are:

• A new Technician that the Dealer selects as a Diesel Engine Performance Technician

A Technician that has partially completed the previous Diesel Engine Performance curriculum (see the Curriculum Map below for details).

TRAINING PLANNERS

All Diesel Engine Performance Technicians should review their STARS2 Certification Planners for Diesel Engine Performance to confirm their curriculum status. This information is located under STARS2 at Professional Technician Society (PTS) web site. Updated curriculum information can also be located on the Dealership Technician Training Planner summary report for 51 Diesel Engine Performance. These reports will be available December 15, 2006 and will be accessible via:

FMC Dealer.com/Parts and Service Role

Communications/Management Reports/Training Reports

Additionally, users with "update all" management access to STARS2 can access these reports by clicking on "Dealer Reports" located on the Manager drop down in STARS2. The STST Specialty 51 Curriculum Map shown here outlines the new Diesel Engine Performance curriculum. The latest version of the Diesel Engine Performance curriculum map will be available on the Professional Technician Society (PTS) web-site upon full curriculum launch (December 15, 2006).