01 F-150 4.2 runs hot

Rate this topic

PowerSToKed

Just wondering if anyone knows any common problems with these engines,  truck will run hot if you raise the rpm to around 1500 for a little while,  temp returnes to normal at base idle.  upper radiator and both heater hoses are hot and lower radiator hose is a bit cooler,  fan seems to be pulling plenty of air,  no coolant leaks but the coolant looks dirty.

Does it overheat when driven? Did you try putting a fan in front of it blowing through the radiator? Use a block leak detector to see if combustion gases are entering cooling system?

options:

1. Waterpump fins deteriorated.

2. Radiator plugged.

3. Thermostat stuck.

4. Internal engine damage (head gasket, etc)

5. Ignition Timing issue if synchronizer has been removed and installed incorrectly.

6. catalytic convertor plugged.

Some scan data would be useful.

• Like 1

I would focus on coolant flow first off. Check to see if the bottom half the rad is cooler than the top, if it is you only have 1/2 the rad working, which would explain higher temps at higher RPM's. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,  I flushed the radiator,  changed the thermostat,  water pump was ok and flushed the entire cooling system.  added new coolant and concern was resolved

• 1 month later...

Just a sidebar.... since we had to let the car turn into cash, my loving bride is forced <GASP> to drive the SooperCroo. We've had several days, of late, that are (for us) HOT. She keeps telling me about this "funny noise" and I keep explaining about the fan locking up. I love that old girl.....