P2291

Rate this topic

Okay, I get to get my hands dirty on my first 6.7L with a P2291 set. This truck came in on the hook after it quit while driving, or so the story goes. No other DTCs set. Performed PPT 'M'. Replaced PCV per test step after observing no change in flow while toggling PCV % between the lowest and highest duty cycle (with VCV % commanded to the lowest duty cycle). Repaired that issue, but still no-start and FRP psi peaks out at 230 psi while cranking. Performed next step which is to toggle VCV % between the lowest and highest duty cycle (with PCV % commanded to the lowest duty cycle). No change in flow observed. Next step is to remove the VCV for inspection and this is what it looks like:

6.7L VCV Metallic Debris

Anyone else ever seen anything like this before? Fuel does not appear contamination with gasoline, water or DEF. Primary filter does not appear overly dirty either. So am I going to need to replace the entire high pressure fuel system by the looks of things? More important question will be if this repair is going to be warrantable?

I really can't see the tip of this valve as the picture is not very clear but I would say that the presence of metallic flakes indicates a pump failure and yes, the entire system needs to be replaced. Since I can't see it closely, I suggest you go to the 6.7L Job Aides on PTS and look at the 6.7L Fuel System Contamination Diagnosis job aid to complete your inspection and identify any possible contamination. I would dare say that a lack of evidence would mean it's a warranty repair. No rust, no signs of DEF or gasoline means it is covered provided the vehicle is within the warranty period. I would run my findings by the Hot-Line after completing the inspection be fore proceeding though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the truck is done. My very first high pressure fuel system replace on one of these, and all I can say is here are my gripes about working on one of these going in this deep:

-those damn sound insulator shields are brittle as hell, not to mention those ridiculous small plastic pushpin retainers that are hard as hell to access, as well as remove.

-those fuel lines are like a goddamn maze!!! But I suppose it's only a matter of practice and familiarity to overcome that.

-those Blue Point sockets for the line fittings are useless as tits on a bull. Mine wouldn't fit any one of those lines properly. Not to mention the way the injector supply lines are curved, makes it almost impossible to torque them. I ended up using my 17mm crow's foot and extension instead.

-who's brilliant idea is it, to manufacture a fuel tank shield that completely gets in the way of setting up the left/rear hoist arm?

-the way that damn DFCM is secured to the bracket is about the most rediculous setup I've ever seen, to fasten it to the frame. I like the 6.0L/6.4L setup better, thank you very much.

And they told us at Ford school way back, that these engines were designed with a priority placed on serviceability. YEAH RIGHT. There, those are my gripes so far. Rant off.

• Like 1

And they told us at Ford school way back, that these engines were designed with a priority placed on serviceability. YEAH RIGHT. There, those are my gripes so far. Rant off.

Accessibility with the cab on was the talking point. The top of this engine is not easy to work on and its right up there with a 6.4 with the pain in the ass factor especially all of the plastic retainers and clips. I break most of them

I have a few under my belt and don't mind them so much anymore. You get used to them, just like when the 6L first showed up and the same with the 6.4L.  

As far as the tank shield, there is a labour op for taking it off to lift the truck. Most trucks I can hit the front leaf spring mount with my hoist, so it's not so much an issue with me.

• 5 months later...

I have one sitting out back, hopefully parts will be here this week. Mine happened the same, no contamination found. How did you clean out the tank? hotline said i needed to rinse out the tank since the metal particles were in the primary filter housing that meant it got into the fuel tank. did you rinse it with water and let it dry out real good or did you use diesel to rinse?

I have one sitting out back, hopefully parts will be here this week. Mine happened the same, no contamination found. How did you clean out the tank? hotline said i needed to rinse out the tank since the metal particles were in the primary filter housing that meant it got into the fuel tank. did you rinse it with water and let it dry out real good or did you use diesel to rinse?

I have cleaned several tanks on trucks that has DEF poured into them. I emptied the tanks, supported them by laying them upside down between two garbage cans over a floor drain. I sprayed water in them with a garden hose and followed up with compressed air and finally wiped them out with a pile of shop rags. Let the tank sit to air dry for an hour or so...

• 2 weeks later...

All went well took about 2.5 days worth of work. not as bad as i thought it would be. went without a hitch, no issues. except it took about 30 cranking cycles to get it to fire. i was sweating bullets but it kept slowly building pressure.