Motorcraft PM-15 Diesel Fuel Lubricity Additive

Rate this topic

Here's a new one for me.  Not sure if anyone remembers but the most I know about this is that Ford told you to dump it in the tank(or in the fuel bowl?) when you replaced OBS 7.3 fuel injectors.  Our other guy found a sheet describing it's use and an old part number that crosses to this newer one.  The only instructions are to empty the entire 12oz bottle into the fuel tank.

I have a pic of the bottle I'll get up here.  I find it interesting that the info out there about this additive is non-existent.  Not in any catalogs and I can't find an MSDS anywhere.  It's also states on the bottle low sulfur approved which I take as not legal for highway use anymore.

diesel fuel lubricity additive.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Keith.  Any opinion on this as an every day additive?  I've run stanadyne lubricity formula in the past and I have to wonder if this could be a substitute? We all know ULSD is "drier" than the LSD the 6.0 was designed to run on.   

There is a dealer nearby to me that has it in stock still.

I asked for the clear bottle cetane/performance improver and the kid came out of the back of the parts room with this stuff, black bottle, 2" thick layer of dust on it... LOL

I am not sure but I think we still have some black bottles on the shelf too. To be honest, I don't understand why Ford has three SEPERATE products for diesel fuel. Any of the top respected brands have diesel fuel additive products that offer all of the basic additives in one product and sometimes more. In this case, Ford could simply make one diesel fuel conditioner that is a cetane booster, anti-gel and lubricity improver.

Stanadyne makes several products as well.  I also think one could do it, but people may just want the basics at a lower price. The "marketplace" and competition is probably the driving force here.

:grin:

I think you are probably right Bruce. As I go searching fuel additives I see that all of the manufacturers offer several different products without having one "do-all" formula however the Stanadyne Performance Formula comes close and it does lower the pour point sot it gets my stamp of approval. I personally like to see at a minimum, a cetane improver combined with a lubricity additive along with  demulsifiers to help remove dispersed water so it can be separated and removed.  Here is a list of the more prominent additive brands I found and there are many more lesser known brands that do this or that or promise your truck will run like new or proclaim "this shit fixes injectors."

Since we are talking about Motorcraft diesel fuel lubricity additive, I find it interesting that it is not highlighted or even mentioned in any of the Ford websites I looked at. Since the introduction of ULSD fuel lubricity has become a prominent topic. Aside from that, the Motorcraft Anti-Gel & Performance Improver does contain a lubricity additive so I can't see why anyone would purchase this PM-22 alone for regular use... then again, people do stranger shit like dump ATF or 2-stroke oil into their fuel systems. But that is another whole discussion in and of itself.

I use PM-22 and PM-23 in my car.  It's both effective and cost-effective (I get it free).  I notice nearly 100 km per tank mileage improvement with the 22. 

As I read up in the products available most do claim a 7% to 9% improvement in fuel economy. Aside from other benefits that lone should be incentive for all diesel owners to use a good fuel additive. I can't see the point of using just a lubricity product alone. Perhaps this is why the PM-15 is only listed for use as a break-in protectant for 7.3L injectors and not as a daily use additive.  After all, the PM-22 and PM-23 have lubricity covered too.

I notice fuel mileage improvements as well in my 6.4 with the 22 and 23.

I usually buy it in a gallon can, and keep it and something to measure/dump it with in the bed of my truck.

I liked at the dealer when an advisor would upsell a single shot cetane boost to a customer with a service, or injectors, or something. I'd save the bottles and fill them from the gallon can and keep them in the toolbox in my truck, for quick shots when filling up with fuel.

I liked at the dealer when an advisor would upsell a single shot cetane boost to a customer with a service, or injectors, or something. I'd save the bottles and fill them from the gallon can and keep them in the toolbox in my truck, for quick shots when filling up with fuel.

If I leave a container with the seal broken in my trunk, it will stink my car up for days!  I "buy" the 946ml bottles and leave them in my garage.  One of those containers lasts me a month and a half.  We don't keep the gallon jugs at the dealership.  Not enough ROI for my parts department.  They'd rather sell the single shots at more $$$$ than the litre!

For years I ran a mix of stanadyne performance formula and lubricity.  Tended to lean towards a full dose of performance and half of lubricity.  Stanadyne ran out now I'm just getting 22 from the parts dept.  I can't tell the difference either way. 

no need for anti gel 23 additive here in AZ :thumbup:

I just run the 22 and call it good.

I do remember the old black bottle filling fuel bowls up on the OBS. Also remember some of the old time guys using ATF instead....

• 4 weeks later...

About a year or so ago my parts manager gave me a box of 'dead/old stock' PM-15 and I used it all up. Now that I have a six four I use 22 as others have stated.

• 1 year later...

I READ ON INTERNATIONAL AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN NETWORK (IATN) THAT IF YOU DRAIN A QUART OF OIL & PUT A QUART OF CLEAN DIESEL FUEL IN THE OIL IT WOULD FREE-UP STICKING FUEL INJECTORS.  

I READ ON INTERNATIONAL AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN NETWORK (IATN) THAT IF YOU DRAIN A QUART OF OIL & PUT A QUART OF CLEAN DIESEL FUEL IN THE OIL IT WOULD FREE-UP STICKING FUEL INJECTORS.

The discussion on PM-15 is for the fuel side of the injector... putting fuel in the oil would be for attempting to remove any gummy oil residue in 6.0L injectors causing stiction in the oil side of the assembly. Totally different problem and solution... if you want to call it that. Interesting what people will willingly do to solve this problem. We have all seen engines come in with much more fuel diluted in the oil and with apparently not ill-effects.