RF from hand held two way.

Rate this topic

I have a 01 farm truck that customer removed a two way radio from to sale truck. they then decided to keep truck and use a hand held radio instead of reinstalling original two way. Now the truck stalls when ever the hand held is keyed up. However, According to customer truck did not have this problem with the old radio that was mounted in truck. I have verified the problem and have tried the same radio in a different truck and it does not stall. I ran codes and has p0340 in mem. Has any one encountered this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't use that handheld in that truck is the easy suggestion. Could be an anomaly in the truck or in both radio and truck - even something as simple as a wire that is just the "right" length that resonates ate a particular frequency. Either way, in a case like this, a "proper" solution may cost more than it's worth.

Back in 85, I had a customer with a brand new 85 F150 - if he keyed his radio telephone while using cruise control, his truck would speed up. A new phone gave no respite. Repositioning the phone was the final cure.

• Like 1

I've seen some weird problems with the CMP sensors that we installed in 2007 for the FSA.  Obviously check your CMP circuits.  Maybe that's your problem but like Jim said, it might be better to tell them not to use the radio in the truck.

You could wrap all the harnesses in tinfoil  and see what happens. Oh and make sure you tell the customer to get a tinfoil hat so his radio doesn't beam the frequencies through his head!