04B24

Rate this topic

Torqued_Up

Anybody doing these recalls yet? Our customers are not exactly rushing to get theirs done. I thought that Ford was sending out letters in the middle of this month? We had a 2005 towed in with no reverse but it is not in the recall so I guess I'll find out what happened when we get it out and apart.

Is this the reverse plantary recall?

I am not a tranny tech, but I have removed 2 for said recall, w/ 1 having a hole in the case where a retining ring punctured it.

The wierd part is that it looks like it was punctured from the outside.

According to Ford, this is one of the manifestations of the failed part.

Vehicle came in for trans slip and fluid leak, not for the recall, although it applied.

There are actually two problems with the Torqshift transmission as of now. One is the recall 04B24 which is the low/reverse planetary failure. I posted a new article on the mainpage, please read it to familiarize yourself with the recall. The article is not so much for us as it is for our visitors. I think I did an okay job of explaining what happens. If anyone has anything to add I would love to hear your comments or even edit the article.

The second issue with these Torqshifts is the forward clutch snap ring pops out of it's groove. Many are only partially coming out and causing the clutch pressure plate to cock causing uneven loading on the case. That's what is causing holes in the case. I took pictures of one I just took apart. I have not decided yet to write another article or just post the pictures. There is a Special Service Message on this snap ring. I have ordered an new case and the snap ring.

of all the trucks we have sold and serviced we have only seen 2 for the recall and 2 other torqueshifts for anything more then a solenoid replacement. the last 2 trans we did, one was for the recall done by another tech and the other was done by me, parts took about 4 days to show up. with the solenoid body on these im surprised Ford hasnt switched to a different style of filter in the pan that can catch stuff better

Four got towed in with holes in the cases after that last snowstorm here in the east. cool article and pictures thats exactly what they look like. We got into two of them and the snap rings were half out of the case with a hole in the exact same spot. I hope nobody needs a case anytime soon, they are on backorder!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif saw that coming a mile away.

We haven't done any yet. Management has not been able to convince anyone to do trans. work for the SLTS times and now this recall hits! Kinda tense at the shop but so far has been a stalemate with neither side budging. The local trans. shops just laughed at the times and passed on the work, too.

That's a pretty interesting take on the issue of labor vs. management. Maybe it's time for someone to step-up or management needs to be willing to pay one or two guys in the shop a salary to do all the transmissions and troublshooting? I know of a few guys that have that agreement. as long as everyone is happy with the terms it seems to work. I don't know how many shops are willing to do that though. I do know that flat rate is not doing well by many techs or dealers anymore as for many just keeping a shop busy all day is a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually kind of new with transmissions. I started repairing and overhauling 4R100's and Torqshifts last year which was a good thing otherwise this recall would be much harder on me than it is. Though I actually kinda like doing them and have gained some confidence in my ability but I still can't see how some guys are doing these in the times they say they are. If you have a unit burn itself up a little and spread clutch material and metal particles throughout, it takes time to break down every sub assembly, remove the seals and clean out the nooks and crannies and then put it all together. Of course we always measure our stack clearances and stack height right? Please tell me that I am not the only idiot that does this! Guys? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif Besides that, not having any of the additional parts needed that you don't know that you need available really kills any momentum you might have going too!

well i like doing trans work but wouldnt do it paid flat rate, im paid hourly where i work. anyways after bad mouthing this recall to the boss that Ford was on glue with their times in this recall i finally got my first one to do. needless to say the time is beatable. i did a 4X4 which is worth 6.4 hours with time to spare and seeing we our hourly and it doesnt affect my pay i put a full 6.4 hours on the ticket. it was only my 3rd torqueshift i have ever opened up. by the way i heard from parts on thursday that mercon SP is on backorder /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif anyone surprised?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting subtopic... SLTs... I'm a slope-shouldered old geezer and I figure that I'll take the crap if they spice it up with a healthy dose of retail ball joints and clutches.

If you do happen to get stuck with a run of real crap warranty stuff, our DP and SM will make sure you're not wanting at the end of the pay period.

I wish you other techs could find a place to work like this.... it's enough to make a guy take the wheels off his toolboox (but that might be old age talking, too).

Our shop has done many 04B24s... I've been lucky enough to cost cap all of mine. Good thing, too since I seem to have trouble getting the centre support back in even with half the fibers still sitting on the bench.

Not one 05B27(??) as yet but we are seeing lot's of T-case problems. Mode fork and synchro troubles. First symptom is delayed engagement at speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is VERY important!

I have been contacted by two visitors of another popular 6 Liter Powerstroke Diesel web site (cough-cough) concerning whether the build dates that are mentioned in the recall are for the truck or the transmission. I know the dealer letter is not worded very clearly but it makes sense if you read it as if you are speaking the words. I know what the answer is but I'll take this one step further because misinformation is one of my pet peeves!

After being asked I started second guessing what I already knew... (I hate when that happens!) so I looked up and reread the dealer letter again myself. Then I got to the bottom of the letter, still confused, I spotted the "Questions" part and a phone number.

Special Service Support Center(Dealer Only) Questions:..........1-800-325-5621

• Prior Approval
  • Warranty Claims Questions
  • General Field Service Actions, Questions, or Comments

I picked up the telephone and dialed the number. I asked about the recall and the build dates and without missing a beat they replied that the recall is dictated by the TRANSMISSION BUILD DATE not the vehicle's. As I stated in another post, guys, ask questions, lots of questions!

• 3 weeks later...

Since Ford wants us to reuse the center support fluid feed bolts, what are we supposed to be using as thread sealant to replace the sealant that comes off during assembly??? I started cleaning the threads and neatly applying Teflon tape to them. Somebody stop me if that is bad or you know a better sealant that wont run or cause problems!

• 2 weeks later...

Ed... I'd be scared silly of what could happen if a string of tef tape got into the hydraulics... I finally did my first 04B24 yeaterday and it went a lot better than I imagined. I only needed kit one, which helped.

I was a litle surprised when the instructions said to re-use the bolts when the WSM says different but I don't recall seeing any mention of thread sealer so I used none. With the bolts properly torqued, I don't see any opportunity fro fluid to bleed.

Here's a thought for the day:

Observation: a damaged transmission requires complete disassembly for cleaning and inspection, a new oil to air cooler must be installed, the lines and radiator cooler must be flushed and then we must install a new remote filter element AND add an in-line filter in the return cooler line... all for the sake of removing and filtering debris caused by the reverse planet pinion failure.

Realization: isn't there a still a lot of debris in the torque converter which the recall instructions never mentions flushing or replacing?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

seeing as our dealership has sold 124 units and has 62 units on the lot,needing the recall-we have been quite busy tearing trannies up. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Well look at it this way, at least YOU are tearing them up instead of them self destructing. I'm sure most of us are well aware that when one of these Torqshifts lets loose and burns up as well, it's a considerably larger job. And look at all of the transmission experience you are gaining! I'm not being funny. Some of mine have had additional problems that I could not have verified until the recall/repair was made. I have replaced quite a few additional solenoids after the fact despite being thorough in cleaning the solenoid body. Unfortunately you simply can't clean the solenoids themselves.

I hope you don't mind me finding a positive perspective to these recalls - this might be because I am relatively new to transmissions and I actually enjoy working on them at the moment. At least it's a switch from doing diesel after diesel...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

Quote:
I am relatively new to transmissions and I actually enjoy working on them at the moment. At least it's a switch from doing diesel after diesel...

Give it some time you will hate transmission work after you get burned on a few of them. I try to stay far far away from transmission work as I can. I can do it but would rather stay away from it at this time. JMHO

• 3 months later...

Nope, still like doing them. I can actually make a little time on these recalls too! But I will admit that replacing a few recalled parts is a totally different situation than repairing a unit that has burnt up and failed completely. I don't mind a total tear down and cleaning every single part, but that is time consuming and I tend to lose time on those. Fortunately there have not been a lot of those lately.