DIY Injector Rebuild?

Rate this topic

I'm not usually to privy to what guys on the monkey house post, when it comes to "mods" but when it comes to wrench on their rides, it does get a little amusing from time to time. At the dealership however, we are often looked down upon as glorified "parts replacers" and unfortunately we are in a sense. LONG gone are the days of rebuilding starters, brake calipers, wheel cylinders in-house, as are then days of doing "valve jobs" as you all know. But when it comes to injectors on 6.0L diesels, the cost does more often than not, become a factor for some owners. For this reason, I found it very interesting to happen upon this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1283601-injector-stiction-fix-lots-of-labor-but-works-great.html

I have to admit, the author did go to great lengths to share what I consider to be a very informative write-up on the subject matter. This is almost as good as the one about the turbo disassembly.

I have a feeling these clamp plates will become available for sale soon, they'll start popping up just like the oil rail nipple tool. 

I have a few OEM 2006 cores laying around I am going to disassemble.  I am mainly interested in what if any improvements have been done to the spool valve in remanufactured injectors.  I know the DLC coated plunger is supposed to be a great improvement but they can still collect varish from poor quality fuel.  When I'm done with the OEM injectors I'll trade them off for some core remans and try those. 

I have 8 new reman injectors in my truck right now so I shouldn't need this for a long time.  By the time I do, there should be a lot more information about it.  

When I was in technical school, the school was a part of a company named Mack Boring where they did all kinds of diesel engine machine work including a complete fuel shop with clean rooms and calibration tests machines. It was always impressed upon us during fuel system classes that the utmost cleanliness was important, thus the clean rooms. Now I see shadetree guys ripping into these injectors on filthy workbenches and using lint rags.

To me, the risk involved plus the labor and possible wasted labor isn't worth the $165 it costs me for an unlimited mileage warranty injector.

I agree completely, that's why there are 8 ford remans in my truck.  Our cost on injectors is a little more though.  4 of the ones I bought were after October 1st.

I just want to open a few up so when I explain to someone what the design improvements were I can actually know what I'm talkiing about. ;)