Try explaining this one without looking stupid...

Rate this topic

07 F350, 346,000 km and 9999.9 hours. runs rough with check engine light on. Pulled codes for #2 contribution, fan speed sensor and ICP circuit. Found open wire in ICP wiring at sensor and replaced pigtail. Ran relative compression, all good, checked crankcase pressure, ok for the hours on the truck. Power balance shows #2 and #6 low. Easy peasy right? NO SUCH LUCK. After having a good look at the valve train and replacing the injectors and the fan clutch, I go for a drive. Shortly into the drive it starts to buck at low RPMs under a load. Get back to the shop to find #8 is now dead. Rerun tests and get #8 contribution code. Shit happens, needs 1 more injector and just for giggles we put in #4 as well because it looked original. Runs good in shop, nice and smooth, get out on the road and HOLY CRAP, it's bucking again. Back to the shop to find #8 is dead again. Run all the tests, only get #8 contribution. Run the injector test and I noticed #8 is not clicking.....I know the injector is new so maybe the FICM went stupid. Put in a new FICM and same issue....Only thing left is the harness...WRONG. Put in the harness with the original FICM and it is the same. Plugged in the new FICM again and same thing. Plugged the old #8 injector back in and no click. For giggles I plugged it into #2 and still no click, which confirmed the injector was in fact bad at that point. Plugged #8 connector into #6 injector and it clicks, so the FICM and harness are good, must be the injector again. Plugged a new injector and it clicks. Installed a second injector into #8, along with the new harness and FICM and it is now good. Only thing I can think of is the FICM went screwy and took out #8 twice. Now try getting the customer to pay for all that.