6.0 intake cleaning

Rate this topic

This is what happens when you let a machine shop clean your only spare intake. You end up with one that's too nice to put on a vehicle. Thanks a lot. I thought I was doing a good job on my own, the bar has just been raised.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What the fuck did they clean it with? We have sent manifolds out for years that get "hot tanked" and come back spotless but not shiny and new looking like that one! C'mon Matt, you messing with us. That is a  new manifold right?  :P

I have no idea what they did to it. Cost me $65, needless to say it's going in my glass case along with the media blasted turbo.

That intake was the worst one I've ever seen which is why I didn't want to clean it myself, it would have taken me hours doing my normal method.  The EGR ports and baffle area were solid carbon and the outside was caked in mud. I didn't realize it would come out that nice or I would have done a before shot. 

Try transmission shops, they have some pretty heavy duty wash tanks.

I've had them dipped before and they come out nice but not as nice as that one up top there.

When are tours available of the glass case? Suit and tie required, naturally? :D

What the fuck did they clean it with? We have sent manifolds out for years that get "hot tanked" and come back spotless but not shiny and new looking like that one! C'mon Matt, you messing with us. That is a  new manifold right?  :P

Ultrasonic cleaning.  The machine shop we use for intake manifold cleaning does it.  They come back looking just like the one in the picture, each and every time. 

• 4 weeks later...

How do you guys clean the intakes out?  Me, I just pick the stuff apart with a pocket screwdriver; maybe use the solvent tank, but all the other guys here use a propane torch and a blow gun to burn everything out.

I pick all the loose stuff out and use the EGR valve bore brush from the 6.4 tool kit. I use purple power citrus degreaser and a scrub brush for the outside. I do this all in our wash bay where they have hot water on a hose. They don't come out perfect but good enough for the trucks we see. As long as the EGR bowl area is clean I'm usually satisfied.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not bad as long as the port from the cooler is clear. I do want to point out that that manifold looks like it has a crack at the EGR valve bore. Is it me or does that look like a crack? Probably wont hurt anything.

Wow! Did that intake get melted?  It looks like there's nothing left of the EGR portion not to mention the crack that's plain as day.

Also the intake I posted pics of?  Sold it for $150 about a month ago.