2008 F350 HS CAN issue

Rate this topic

lmorris

Customer concern: Was driving down highway, check engine light came on, all gauges dropped off and all warning lights came on, transmission gear idicator also shuts off, multiple module communication codes, most of which were set by the cluster, one in the PCM which turned on the light, none in TCM. Vehicle operated normally other wise. Lasted for about 6KM then went back to normal. Shortly before this the blower motor went.

Replaced the blower motor so I could drive the truck, could not recreate concern. Gave back to customer.

Customer gets 30 minutes from dealer to his next job, HVAC guy. Shuts off truck for 30 minutes. Won't crank. Cluster shows park indicator, so it's not a TCM issue. He shifted to neutral and it cranks and starts. All is good. 

Brings it back, same codes. Due to lack of time, we just disconnected the TBC and let him go, he called back later with issue still there. We are leaning towards a cluster issue, mostly because the truck will operate normally if the concern happens when the truck is running.

Any thoughts?

If memory serves me correctly I had a similar truck with a similar concern and it did end up being the instrument cluster. But it was a while back so I am not 100 percent sure.

I recently had a 2011 with a similar issue that had wires chafed under the drivers door sill trim where it overlays he kick panel trim - another place for you to look. Here is a link to the topic ---> http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/5208-network-issues-intermittent/

Check the connectors on the left spring tower.  Maybe when the cab came off the connector latches got broken in the process and now they are not holding tight.

That I did check, plus I was the last guy to lift the cab anyways.

I recently had a 2011 with a similar issue that had wires chafed under the drivers door sill trim where it overlays he kick panel trim - another place for you to look. Here is a link to the topic ---> http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/5208-network-issues-intermittent/

Will look into that when he comes back in.

Thanks for input, I appreciate it.

I would have put a new cluster in it today, but the new one was broken right out of the box. Anyways, customer told me he had the heat turned down in the cab for the last week and has not had any issues.