Trivia Question

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

A DTS website fan emailed me a question about a trivia question he could not find the answer to. I thought it was an interesting question and thought somebody here might know the answer. I believe he wants to know what engine was popularly used to repower ford light duty trucks before the 6.9L was introduced. Here is the question:

I have a trivia question that i cant seem to find the answer to...

before the 6.9 was introduced what diesel was used to repower/retrofit the gas f series? it was apparently a common swap in those days. its not a Cummins or and international harvester engine. not a Hercules or continental. or a Perkins or a Mitsubishi or a Volvo. only other clues i was given was that it was a time where there was only f150-f350. and i was also told it could be considered an international engine. (this is why i asked Perkins...because some of the scouts had Perkins diesels...) thank you.

I have seen several of that series re-powered with the 4BT cummins 4 cylinder. Those engines were used by loads of bread and potato chip fleets to repower their Ford and Chevy framed aluminum parcel vans (those companies are notorious skinflints that run those units till the metal crumbles).

Someoen was producing bell housing adapters and such.

The winner I worked on was a 34 foot holiday rambler with a Chevy chassis (worked at Chevy dealer 77-79, 81-83) repowered from big block to an Isuzu non -turbo 6 cylinder. It was backed by the original TH400.

Stepping on the go pedal was more akin to throwing kibble to squirrels running on a treadmill. Due to the TH400 steep reverse ratio the thing wouldn't back up a slight grade. Never built enough power to reach stall speed.